Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac with Retina display still noisy or is it now fixed?

Hi,

Just wondering, if the noise issues with the new iMac Retina Display are solved by now or not yet?

The new iMac with the retina display had these noise issue with the cooling fan. Noise you do not want from a Mac. Therefore I am waiting. Now I wanted to know if anybody knows if Apple has fixed this issue or if the Retina iMac is still noisy?

Please only answer concerning the iMac Retina display, thank you. And please do not restart any discussion about the noise. I only want to know if the latest models have it fixed or not. Cheers!

With kind regards,

Karel

iMac (27-inch, Late 2013)

Posted on May 6, 2015 4:25 AM

3 replies

May 7, 2015 1:16 AM in response to rkaufmann87

You do not answer my question. On top, you sound rude. I do not like that. I wrote a precise question. If you are just browsing forums to try to insult other people, please drop it. I have an iMac 27 without retina display at home, I have an Air for my wife, we have 7 iPhones and 5 iPads in our family. I bought the iMac 27 for my mom, as a birthday present, and returned it, due to the specified noise from the cooling fan.

Let me rephrase the question once more, since the local Apple shop is unable to respond to my question: Has Apple a new coolong fan for the iMac 5k Retina 27 computer now, or have they solved the minor noise topic otherwise by now? I am on top bound to stay home, due injury from a sports accident, if someone else wabts to know the details, why I do not drive to the shop and back. On top it is an hour away and I am not supposed to drive for a while. Please, if someone has an answer exactly to my question, please answer, please before 15. May. By then, I will just order one again and find out. I only thought, it might be easier to post a question, since I am bound to stay in bed for now. I hope this was enough details to satisfy anyones curiosity. Pardon the typos, I do have temporarely limited eye sight.

WIth kind regards

Karel

Aug 5, 2015 8:41 PM in response to Surfing_Friendly

I just purchased a 27" iMac i7 with the high end GPU about 2 weeks ago (so late July 2015).

Your answer is two parts.

1) Under normal usage the computer is extremely quiet, and quite an incredible computer.

2) However, under heavy GPU /CPU load the fan ramps up to the point where the sound is unbearably annoying. Heavy GPU load would be 4k youtube or a typical high detail video game, in my case Protools or Logic running maximum plugins etc.

I use a 2010 iMac in my studio and replaced it with this one. I am currently in the process of trying to return the 5k retinal 27" it as the noise level is unacceptable for my use.

Thanks

iMac with Retina display still noisy or is it now fixed?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.