Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't connect Laserjet 4000tn to Mountain Lion

I asked this question on the HP support forum but have yet to get a response.

I am trying to connect an iMac (late 2012) running Mountain Lion 10.8.5 to my HP Laserjet 4000tn printer. I believe that I have updated the driver both by using Apple Software Updater and this link found on an HP forum:

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL907

The printer is connected to an Asante FriendlyNet Switch which is then connected by ethernet cables to both a G5 Mac (power PC processor) running 10.5.8 and the iMac. I can print from the G5. But on the iMac, when I go to System Preferences>Print & Scan, the Laserjet name does not appear in the list of printers. When I click the + sign to add a printer, the Laserjet still does not appear as an option.

Is there somewhere on my hard drive where I can look to check this and confirm that I am using the correct driver?

I need to be able to print from both printers. Any help would be SO appreciated.

Posted on May 6, 2015 5:12 AM

5 replies

May 6, 2015 5:57 AM in response to 2bdesign

The device is too old really, HP stopped support at 10.6.8. What you can try to do is connect by the printers IP address, get the manual for the printer and it will show you how to get that address. Then install the printer by the IP. Directions for that are in Apple's OS X: How to connect to an IP-based printer or AppleTalk printer via IP - Apple Support

Good luck.

May 6, 2015 7:00 AM in response to rkaufmann87

Thanks for the reply.

The Laserjet printer IP address is 0.0.0.0. When I use Network Utility and ping the address I get "No route to host".

When I put the IP address into the "Add IP Address" window in System Preferences > Print & Scan, it says that it is a "Valid and complete address". I have the Protocol set to Jetdirect - Socket. But when I click ADD in that window, it says "Unable to verify the printer on your network. Unable to connect to 0.0.0.0 due to an error. Would you still like to create the printer?" When I do, and try to print, it says "printer not responding".

May 6, 2015 7:52 AM in response to 2bdesign

2bdesign wrote:

So if the printer is connected to the Asante switch and my computers are connected and talking to each other through the same switch, and I can print from the older computer, doesn't that mean that the printer is connected to my network?

I cannot speak to the Asante switch as I have no experience with them and have no idea what they are designed to do. My experience with network printers is you connect them directly to the router and then the computers that are on the same network as the printer should be able to connect to the printer. Due to the age of the LaserJet 4000tn, as stated HP has dropped support for it on current versions of OS X. It appears they did so about 2011 of so which is when10.6.8 was the current release of OS X.

You are supposed to be able to get the printers IP address directly from the printers panel. As mentioned 0.0.0.0 is not a valid IP address which indicates the printer either is not connected to your network or the address was not checked on the printer itself. If you need assistance getting the IP address then you will need to contact HP for support.

Can't connect Laserjet 4000tn to Mountain Lion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.