Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Logic Pro X - copy from another machine?

If I buy a laptop with Logic Pro X installed on it - is there any way to get the program over onto my desktop?

Theoretically, YES, by finding all the individual components and copy/move them the the same locations on the other machine.

BUT - as this copy would not be downloaded with my Apple ID/Store account - I can only guess it would be undetected by the software updater for future versions (incremental)? Or would it? Certainly no downloadable backup from Apple. Any other negatives or positives?

I'm just trying to weigh whether or not having this bundled in a resale Mac has any actual value or not - other than for using it as is, only installed on the box it came on.

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), 3.4GHz i7 27" 3TB Fusion 32MB

Posted on May 6, 2015 3:41 AM

8 replies

May 6, 2015 3:59 AM in response to igirl1

Not that I think this is your intention, but you're basically asking for instructions to pirate Logic... and to answer: I'm pretty sure that you cannot do it that easily.

But as long as you use the correct Apple ID, after you've bought the Macbook with Logic preinstalled, you should (as in: have an explicit right to) be able to legally download Logic to your desktop as well.

The (big) advantage and only difference of having it pre-installed is that you don't have to download & install it yourself, which takes quite some time and sometimes also some tiresome troubleshooting.

May 6, 2015 4:25 AM in response to Eriksimon

Thanks and no - not at all trying to get away with anything (sorry if it came across that way) - like I said "I'm just trying to weigh whether or not having this bundled in a resale Mac has any actual value or not - other than for using it as is, only installed on the box it came on."

I just have a buying option of machines with/or without - so apparently the "with" machine really has no added value if it's not actually transferrable to the new owner of a machine in any way but to use in place. That said, I'll probably just pass on the machine(s) with the bundled software. Digital Performer allows users to transfer ownership of the software product/licenses FWIW.

May 6, 2015 8:33 AM in response to igirl1

Its also worth noting that without the Apple ID (and Password) that was used to purchase LPX in the first place... you cannot update Logic Pro X either.... as you must be signed into the Mac App store using that same Apple ID... to update.. so while you could use it 'as is' you are then stuck with that version until you purchase LPX yourself using your own Apple ID

Finally, it's actually 'illegal' for a seller to sell a mac with LPX pre-installed in this manner.. as LPX and it's license (or any other app bought via the Mac App Store) are non transferable... The seller should remove all such apps and then sign out of the Mac App Store..,.. or realistically wipe the Mac using the recovery partition so it's back to being a 'clean' system prior to selling.

May 6, 2015 12:22 PM in response to igirl1

The key here was, I did say "resale" so yes, it isn't a direct purchase from Apple but a pre-owned machine. while having software bundled with a computer is nice - it also means other things may be pre-installed as well and I always want to do a clean install and set it up myself. So that either entails moving the software, or backup/reinstalling, or deleting it.

Anyway the question has been answered and I've decided to pass on the bundle. It's more work than it's worth to have to work around. Thanks!

Logic Pro X - copy from another machine?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.