Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I appoint a keyboard to a contact?

i'm going nuts switching between different language keyboards! My family is one languag, some friends another and then there's the language of the country I live in, so I constantly have to switch between 3 different keyboards + the Emoji. This does end up in some strange messages, when I forget to change and the auto correct tries to "translate" what I wrote. It gets even more irritating when I dictate into my new Apple watch in one language, but if the keyboard on my phone is on another language, I cannot use the language I need. I can choose a different ringtone, text tone etc when creating a contact, why can't I also choose a keyboard? Does anyone have a solution to this?

Apple Watch, iOS 8.3

Posted on May 6, 2015 7:04 AM

13 replies

May 6, 2015 9:37 AM in response to Mrol

Mrol wrote:

It gets even more irritating when I dictate into my new Apple watch in one language, but if the keyboard on my phone is on another language, I cannot use the language I need.

I have seen a report that the Watch will normally adjust the dictation language to fit the keyboard normally used in the iphone Message app for the contact being dictated to. Does that work for you? (I can't test it myself).

May 6, 2015 10:09 AM in response to Tom Gewecke

My daily problem is this: I text my friend in English on UK Keyboard, then I need to text my mum in Danish, but the keyboard is still stuck on the UK one, so I press the Globe and change to Danish Keyboar, then back to my friend and so on. Now on my watch if I texted my friend last in English, but want to dictate a text to my mum, I have to take out my phone, go into messages and change the keyboard into Danish, but then I might as well just text her and drop the watch. If I could just somehow make sure the keyboard was "attached" to each of my contacts, it would make my (and a lot of others) life a lot easier

May 6, 2015 11:14 AM in response to annabelle

annabelle wrote:

just go to Messages on your iPhone

and check the person you are sending the message to

has the right language keyboard selected

I think you have missed the point. Once you have gone to your iphone to check that, you may as well just forget the watch and do it with the phone. What people want is for the language to adjust automatically without having to access the iphone each time.

May 7, 2015 7:54 AM in response to annabelle

Thank you Annabelle, now the keyboard stays on the last one used for each contact, not the last one I used in general after signing out of iCloud. It's also working with the watch now, but I would still prefer to be able to set a keyboard as default on my contacts so it would also work on the email, Skype, messenger etc. but that's probably just wishful thinking:)

May 7, 2015 9:20 AM in response to Mrol

I'm glad that worked! May I suggest you to mark this post as solved?

It will make it easier for others to solve this problem.

Plus more people will read your suggestion to set a default keyboard on contacts,

that I think is a very good idea: I already wrote a feedback to Apple and I would suggest you to do it as well 🙂

They need to hear it from as many people as possible

How can I appoint a keyboard to a contact?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.