Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone battery drains fast after updating to iOS 8.3

Dear Appl Rep,

I won an iphone 5, and battery consumption was regular & normal when I was on 8.2. I did an update to 8.3 through wifi, after that I noticed that battery drains too fast & most of time the iphone gets hot during normal usage, although I experienced the same method of usage when i was on 8.2

I hear many users complain of such update too. Any actions from your side was taken yet? and when this is supposed to be solved & what is the cause?

Thanks, & waiting for a solution as we got used from Apple to care about their customers!

iPhone 5, iOS 8.3

Posted on May 6, 2015 6:05 AM

4 replies

May 6, 2015 11:22 AM in response to Tamer L Guoshy

Hi Tamer,

I have the same thing i update via Wifi after the update my battery drained so fast. I charge it overnight from 21.30 till 6.15 in the morning.

The phone is around 15 procent at noon. So only 6 hours with just a little use of Whatsapp and i play Family guy.

I did a full reset, reinstalled 8.2 and then updated again but then via iTunes but the issue is still there.

- disable location services

- disabled refresh apps background

- switch off reduce motion

- don't use motion and fitness information

- no automatic update for apps

- bluetooth off

- signed out of icloud

- mail only on fetch

The phone is empty now only Apple apps are installed and still the issue is there.

I hope they release an update soon

May 6, 2015 1:00 PM in response to Tamer L Guoshy

Tamer/RockBagle,

The issue is with the way that you've updated your devices. While Wifi is convenient, it is not always reliable. These smartphones/tablets are powerful devices but they do not have a constant (wired) connection to the internet. If you've ever been using your devices and watching a video/streaming live music to your device and it pauses and you get the buffer wheel that pops up, your device has lost the signal to the Wifi network and normally, it will resume quickly when that signal is connected again.

If you're performing an update over Wifi with your device, rest assured that it will drop the Wifi signal several times throughout this process. The problem arises that if it happens during a critical point of that update, you can wind up with software corruption and/or missing or lost files or folders which leads to software issues on your devices.

The solution is to backup your personal information through the iCloud or on your computer through iTunes then import your photos/videos to your computer. You will then need to turn off the Find My iPhone feature under settings>iCloud>Find My iPhone. Then, you will need to restore the device back to factory settings in iTunes by clicking the Restore iPhone button on the Summary page. When finished, setup the device as a new device and test it. If everything seems fine, you can then restore from your backup. If the issue persists, you may have a hardware issue and I would recommend an Apple Retail Store Genius Bar appointment and let then run Extended Diagnostic Testing to see where the issue lies.

Good luck.

May 7, 2015 2:17 AM in response to sgtrockmtm

Well i don't think its the hardware...

I have 3 iPhones now:

- iPhone 5

- iPhone 5S

- iPhone 6

- iPhone 5 worked perfectly(14 hours of use) till the update to 8.3 battery dies after 6 hours

- iPhone 5s worked perfectly(14 hours of use) till the update to 8.3 battery dies after 6 hours

- iPhone 6 bought that one on Tuesday still working on 8.2 battery holds for one and a half day! Still going strong with 20% battery left haven't changed it since i bought it.

Did a full reset for the iPhone 5S, started as a new iPhone create a new Apple ID so no settings were recovered from the iCloud or anything.

Did all the battery tweaks that are online. i left the phone on last night from 19.00 in the evening woke up this morning with only 9% battery left i haven't touched the phone at all. Just Wifi and 4G. That not normal!

I left my iPhone 6 on the whole night only 2% battery less then when i went to sleep

iPhone battery drains fast after updating to iOS 8.3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.