Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to charge MacBook 12" from the iMac?

Hi, while I am waiting on my new MacBook I just came up with question how to charge it at my desk. At my desk I use an iMac together with a Display with a MagSafe adapter. Since I won't be able to use that I am looking for an alternative way:

1) Does anyone where I can buy a "Male USB to USB-C" adapter?

2) Is the power from the USB Ports of the iMac (late 2012) enough to charge the MacBook?

Thanks.

Posted on May 6, 2015 6:16 AM

4 replies

May 6, 2015 7:02 AM in response to dvdv1

So this is going to get interesting for Apple. for years they offered "Apple only" ways to charge their devices and you bring a good point, this should be able to do the trick:

https://store.google.com/product/usb_type_c_to_usb_standard_a_plug_cable

However, I have not tried it out myself, but just placed an order for one.

What this would mean is any 29w standard (now legacy) USB wall charger could replace the apple 29W USB-C charger. Apple sells the wall charger and cable separately (i saw 4 returned to bestbuy stating "missing accessory" lol) so this may put a damper in their plans.

As for charging from the iMac i dont know... USB 3.0 deliver 4.5 watts, so at best, it would be DIRT slow. I have an iMac 5k and will test it out when the cable comes in.

May 6, 2015 7:28 AM in response to John0001

Actually I do not really care about the speed here. I mostly use my iMac and I just want to have the MacBook loaded and ready when I take it out of the office which is maybe once a week. Please let me know if it works.

It would be the best solution to take the power cord of the Apple Display, cut of the MagSafe install an USB C wich is only able to power the MacBook. I wonder if it possible to make an USB C that has no use for data just for electricity...

May 12, 2015 5:35 PM in response to dvdv1

apple forums would not let me post back to back... here ya go:

So I got my USB-C to USB (male) adapter today https://store.google.com/product/usb_type_c_to_usb_standard_a_plug_cable. Interesting results trying to charge by a USB 3.0 port on my iMac 5k. When you plug it in, it beeps like it’s charging, and the battery icon show the charging state.

However, moments later the battery icon change back to “on battery” and I watched the battery drop 1% while plugged in.

Good news! Like older iPads, it does change when in sleep mode (close lid by default). I closed the lid, left the USB-C to USB male plugged into the iMac & MacBook, and in 8 min it charged 1%

How to charge MacBook 12" from the iMac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.