Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Old email association with Apple ID lost

I recently replaced my computer and restored from a time machine update. I then tried to sync my iPhone to iTunes and it keeps asking for the password for an old email that was previously associated with my Apple ID. I can access functionality with the current email address but the association between the old and new email addresses seems to have been lost resulting in lost access to multiple songs. Any idea how I restore this association?

Mac mini (Late 2014), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), null

Posted on May 6, 2015 8:04 AM

5 replies

May 6, 2015 11:45 AM in response to Limnos

I just changed the email address as the old one is no longer functional. I did not create a new Apple ID. All of the songs still list the old email as the associated ID and since I restored Time Machine to my new computer I can not access those songs. The association between the new and the old appears to be broken.

Jun 14, 2015 9:56 PM in response to Mike805

This is happening to me too! I cannot access some of my music, but when I try, it asks me to authorize my computer for an email address that used to be associated with my Apple ID. I cannot reset the password for this "Apple ID" because it technically doesn't exist... My Apple ID is associated with my new email now. I never made a new Apple ID, I just changed the email address associated with it. I seriously have no idea what to do. I even tried resetting the password for the old email, and it says that it sent a verification email, but I never got anything to my old email address.

Any help would be appreciated, as I'm hoping to play some of these songs!

Jun 16, 2015 9:41 PM in response to Mike805

I have had this trouble for a while now. Songs that were purchased under an extinct email address/Apple ID won't play because I can't remember the passwords from those old Apple IDs. When I click through the "Don't Remember My Password", there's no way that I can see to route that to my existing Apple ID and email address. I've just been deleting those tracks that won't play under my current Apple ID. And with all the bazillions of $$$ Apple is earning through its product sales, why must they charge $29 for a chat with tech support? Anyway, if you find a good solution to this problem, please share it with the world. I'll be following this comment stream hoping for a solution to be shared.

~ Captain Clay Crash {=0)

Jul 8, 2015 7:06 PM in response to CaptainClayCrash001

This isn't exactly a solution to the problem, but I started using Google Play Music instead. You upload your tracks directly from iTunes (most of them anyway) and play music using that and the Google Play Store to purchase music. Basically, the only solution I've found is to not use iTunes...

Sorry I couldn't be of more help, but it seems that this glitch with iTunes will never be fixed.

Old email association with Apple ID lost

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.