Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone 6plus difficult to connect to oversea wifi

When I am at oversea airport trying to connect to the wifi, but I am having some difficulty to connect with my iphone 6 plus.

I have check with my local carrier (Starhub), but was told that it is not due to the carrier and could be the hardware issue.

Is there a wifi chip inside the phone which might be creating this problem?

Pls advise.

Posted on May 6, 2015 8:26 AM

5 replies

May 7, 2015 5:55 PM in response to Phil0124

Hi Phil0124

Thanks for your response and greatly appreciate your info on the Wifi chip.

The problem I having is when I was oversea (recently at USA - New York, Cedar Rapid and even transit at Frankfurt), I was having login to the airport Wifi.

It took me a while, almost 15 minutes ~ 30 minutes before I can access to the free Wifi.

And at times, after getting the Wifi connection, it got disconnected and again it will take a while before I can re-login.

My friend was with me with a Samsung Note 4, and she does not have any problem login to the Free Wifi and do not face any disconnected problem.

So, I am wondering whether is it due to the carrier problem or my phone problem?

How can I verify whether is the phone Wifi chip having this problem?

Pls advise.

May 7, 2015 7:57 PM in response to New_iphone3Gs

New_iphone3Gs wrote:

So, I am wondering whether is it due to the carrier problem or my phone problem?

WiFi has nothing to do with your carrier.

Ae you having the problem connecting with Wifi at home? If your phone is working on WiFi while you're home, ti's probably not a hardware problem. For whatever reasons, iOS devices are particularly sensitive to routers with older software. Obviously, at an airport, you can't simply ask them to update their router software. You can try resetting your network connections. Settings>General>Reset>Reset Network Connection.

If you're still having trouble at home, it may be a hardware issue. Make an appointment at the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store.

May 7, 2015 8:07 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

Hi Meg St._Clair

Thanks for your response.

I do not have any problem connecting Wifi at home or in my own country (Sg).

I only faces this when I am oversea trying to connect to the Free Wifi at those airport.

As I mentioned, I am puzzled cos my friend with a Samsung Note 4 does not have this problem, mine with the latest iphone 6 Plus having this problem really puzzle me especially even in USA.

Any advise

May 7, 2015 8:16 PM in response to New_iphone3Gs

GIven that nowadays Wi-Fi links are much more complex than in the past, the two devices have to carry out a complex sequence of actions in order to agree how to talk to each other. Apple has always been much more stringent in following the diverse standards to the letter, which makes its devices more finicky in comparison to other more lax brands that are also less secure.

That being said, have you tried creating new hotspot connections when visiting different places, rather than reusing some previous config?

iphone 6plus difficult to connect to oversea wifi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.