Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Image Capture won't show all iPhone photos

I'm using image capture to try to pull photos from my iPhone 6. My iPhone shows up in the devices column. It is recognized by the computer. When I look at the pictures it only shows ones up to a few months ago. I have, for example, photos from November on my phone, but it Image Capture it only shows photos from March 29th forward. My iPhone says I have 604 photos, image capture says I have only 131.

Any ideas on why it's doing this?

iPhone 6

Posted on May 6, 2015 7:47 AM

5 replies

May 21, 2015 4:41 PM in response to LastTycoon

I have this problem as well.

I had too many photos on my phone.

I copied most to an external hard drive, but wanted to do it "the right way" and went to the Apple Store several times.

I knew I needed to download the operating system update, but didn't have enough memory.

I bought phone view but it said it didn't have enough memory to work. I don't know if referring to my iPhone 6+'s memory or the hard drive of my MacBook Air.

I was told on my first trip to the Apple Store to find someone with a computer with enough memory to hold my iPhone's photos. I could only find a mini with 2G ram and was told it would take forever.

Since then, it appears my iPhone has had to 'recover' and is 'restoring' recently, although I am not sure from where, presumably a very old backup in iCloud. Oh no! THEN, the videos seemed to come back.

I went back to the Apple Store to ask the same question and a different Genius told me to use image_capture! Hallelujah. to send the photos THROUGH the MacBook Air into the external hard drive.

But now, image_capture shows fewer photos than my iPhone says it has, shows very few of the thumbnails and shows dashed outlines instead of photos.

I am afraid that the outlines mean that the iPhone has an index of the photos that SHOULD be there but that it can no longer find them. : {

In another blog, there was a reference to a dotted circle in iTunes. I thought that might relate but the instructions to fix that problem were to turn off wifi!?

This is my first iPhone. I apologize for being truly clueless, but this is the only way to learn. ( I thought by now I'd be in Apple heaven! )

Image Capture won't show all iPhone photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.