Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When can I update the IOS on my IPod Touch model MC011LL?

I have an IPod Touch model MC011LL with IOS 5.1.1 The system will not allow me to update to the latest IOS and new apps require a newer version than the 5.1.1 I have. How can I work around this or when will an update be available?

iPod touch (3rd generation), iOS 5.1.1

Posted on May 6, 2015 7:58 AM

6 replies

May 6, 2015 8:04 AM in response to M_Owen0005

You cannot update that model of iPod touch any further. It cannot support any iOS version beyond iOS 5.1.1.

However:

You may be able to get compatible versions of Apps you need.

In iTunes on your computer, download the App you want a compatible version for using the same Apple ID that the iPod has for the App Store.

For Paid Apps its best to consult with the App maker to make sure there is a compatible version of the App.

With the App Downloaded to iTunes on a computer you can go into The App Store App on your iPod touch, Tap on Updates, then on Purchased, and look for the App there. Tap on it to begin the download. It will likely say its not compatible, but if there is a compatible version it will offer to download it.

Install the latest compatible version of an app on an earlier version of iOS or OS X - Apple Support

May 7, 2015 7:24 AM in response to M_Owen0005

It sounds like SiriusXM does not have a compatible app for the older iPod. I would also say that you shouldn't get your hopes up for them to develop an app for the older versions of iOS partly because Apple will no longer allow developers to submit apps not using the iOS 7 interface guidelines. To put it in perspective, the 3rd generation iPod touch is going on 6 years old. That is a longer life span than most laptop computers. I know it's not the answer you are looking for.

-Zeph

May 7, 2015 12:26 PM in response to M_Owen0005

What exactly did not work?

Because I just attempted to download this SiriusXm App to my First Gen iPad running iOs 5.1.1 and it worked just fine. so SiriusXm does i fact have a version of their App for iOS 5.1.1

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/siriusxm-internet-radio/id317951436?mt=8

With that said, what exactly do you expect Apple to do? Its a 6 year old device, what kind of support do you expect to be getting?

As I said, download the App to your computer first, then without plugging the iPod into the computer, download the App to the iPod from the Purchased section in the App Store App directly on the iPod.

May 12, 2015 7:45 AM in response to Phil0124

Phil0124:

The re-loaded app still does not work. I have no problem getting the older version of the app to load on my iPod, it just will not allow you to stream. The only option available whenever you launch is to update to the new version, thereby continuing the endless loop. Does your First Gen iPad allow you to stream? If so, there must be a difference between the iPad and iPod.

I would like to see Apple continue to support the products they sell. The 64gb iPod Touch I have was the best of the best when I got it. Now, 6 years later, Apple would have me throw it away and buy a new one. I hope, if you have children, you continue to support them beyond 6 years. What if Chevrolet decided to stop updating their automobiles older than say a 2010 model? Why can I not load the latest iOS on the iPod? I know I have no camera but other than that, what hardware differences are there?

The discussion I am having with SiriusXM seems a bit more civil. They have at least told me they are referring my comments and request to the "appropriate department". I have not researched the origin of this forum, but I am guessing you are an employee of Apple. The answer you gave to me above vividly reflects the expectations I have from the company. I will attribute the curt response you sent to being a quick answer to the information I offered. After careful review and deliberation of the entire string, I am now responding without emotion and stating only the facts.

Mike

May 12, 2015 1:33 PM in response to M_Owen0005

M_Owen0005 wrote:

Phil0124:

The re-loaded app still does not work. I have no problem getting the older version of the app to load on my iPod, it just will not allow you to stream. The only option available whenever you launch is to update to the new version, thereby continuing the endless loop. Does your First Gen iPad allow you to stream? If so, there must be a difference between the iPad and iPod.

Yes, the iPad App can stream just fine and does not request an update. Not sure why the iPod version sir requesting one.

M_Owen0005 wrote:

Phil0124:

I would like to see Apple continue to support the products they sell. The 64gb iPod Touch I have was the best of the best when I got it. Now, 6 years later, Apple would have me throw it away and buy a new one. I hope, if you have children, you continue to support them beyond 6 years. What if Chevrolet decided to stop updating their automobiles older than say a 2010 model? Why can I not load the latest iOS on the iPod? I know I have no camera but other than that, what hardware differences are there?

There's many differences. Processor speed (800mhz vs 1ghz A5), available RAM (256Mb vs 512MB).

Even the current 5th Gen iPod touch is at the limit of supporting iOS 7 or 8. Its barely coping with it as it is.

Technology moves really fast. 6 years in mobile device time is like 40 or 50 in Car terms.

Do you expect Chevrolet to offer GPS and touch screen, or Gas Economy of today's Chevys on a '54 Camaro?

M_Owen0005 wrote:

Phil0124:

The discussion I am having with SiriusXM seems a bit more civil. They have at least told me they are referring my comments and request to the "appropriate department". I have not researched the origin of this forum, but I am guessing you are an employee of Apple. The answer you gave to me above vividly reflects the expectations I have from the company. I will attribute the curt response you sent to being a quick answer to the information I offered. After careful review and deliberation of the entire string, I am now responding without emotion and stating only the facts.

Mike

I'm sorry, I did not know asking a question was not civil.

For the record, very few people here are actually Apple employees. We are mostly volunteers. Users like yourself trying to help other users to best of out abilities.

I asked an actual question, as to what support you expected out of Apple. The device you own is simply too old, and its hardware is incapable of running the newest IOS. Most people replace their computers more often than every 6 years. I think its not unreasonable to buy a new iPod after 6 years.

When can I update the IOS on my IPod Touch model MC011LL?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.