Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I best record music with an external mic onto my macbook air?

I had an old mac monitor type computer that I used for recording music, but it was slow and non-portable, so I bought a macbook air. I just tried to record using the same set up,(but with the laptop) and it won't recognize the external mic. I'm using a Monoprice 600800 mic connected to a mixer (monoprice 615808) that plugs into the audio port of the computer and I'm recording using N-Track.

I just read you have to connect with a three ring jack or via USB. What is the best adapter to get? Should I get an adapter for the mixer thats USB or three ring jack, or just ditch the mixer alltogether and get a USB adapter to connect directly to the Mic?

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on May 6, 2015 9:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 6, 2015 1:26 PM

The MacBook Air has no dedicated analog audio input jack, neither has any Mac for that matter, for quite a few years. That leaves USB, narrowing your choices considerably.

USB is a better idea anyway.

11 replies

How can I best record music with an external mic onto my macbook air?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.