Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I send video files as email attachments?

I wish to send video files as email attachments.

Each video is 1 to 2 minutes in length with a file size of 50 to 150 MB.

When I attempt to attach and send any of these files to an email, I get a failure alert telling me the attachment exceeds the size limit of 37 MB allowed by my server (Comcast).

I have tried exporting to QuickTime and right-click Compressing to Zip,.... but they're still to large.

Any other sharing solutions would be appreciated but I'm hoping to avoid solutions such as Dropbox because not all recipients have such capability.

Thanks very much

Posted on May 6, 2015 9:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 6, 2015 9:51 AM

20 to 25MB is a pretty standard email size limit. If you use an iCloud account in Mail on a modern Mac you can send files up to 5GB using Mail Drop.

Get an iCloud account and use iCloud mail instead of Comcast.

6 replies

May 6, 2015 5:16 PM in response to larrybobba

The size limit only your provider can change, and most often sending such large files over email is not practical or even a good idea. your recipients may not be in position to receive such a large file, or you'd be using up all their data allotment really quickly. Its considered rude to send such large files over email.

In any case there are servers out there you can upload files to and then send links to download them. Even DropBox can do this, and does not require your recipients have a drop box account. It may prompt them to get one,. but they can close the prompt and proceed to download the file directly. Just click on the Share button for the file in Dropbox.

Alternatively one of these may work for you:

http://www.ebizmba.com/articles/file-sharing-websites

May 6, 2015 11:26 AM in response to larrybobba

Simply, sharing video via email is not advisable.

Many email services have an attachment limit of 20mb and some a limit of 10mb. As emails are sent through an array of relays, the effective limit is the smallest file size allowed on any of the relays. That means that video is rarely suitable for emailing.

Then there's the whole issue of Codecs and not all machines will have the codecs to play all videos. Plus, folks with slower connections can find it very inconvenient to download large video files.

Finally, sharing video from iPhoto via email is not supported. All that gets you is the Movie thumbnail. If you feel you must share via email then you'll need to export the video first, and attach that. Use the File -> Export command and set the kind to Original.

This User Tip

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-4921

has details of the options in the Export dialogue.

Other than that your options include:

Upload it to a sharing site like YouTube or Vimeo and email a link - these will allow the recipient to view the material online. That will avoid the codec issues mentions, and the person can still download the video file if they wish.

Upload it to sharing services like Dropbox or YouSendIt and email a link. This will require that they download the material to their machines to view.

Regards

TD

May 6, 2015 11:52 AM in response to Yer_Man

Mail Drop works well (5GB size limit) attach the file and send the email, iCloud uploads the file to temporary storage (does not count against your account storage) the recipient gets an email with a download link, or if the recipient has an iCloud account they get the mail with the attachment, attached.

You must have an iCloud email account, but it works very well

Can I send video files as email attachments?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.