Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I use TC as a regular external hard drive without connecting to the WIFI network or Ethernet?

hi

it's my first time using the Time Capsule.

i bought it, thinking that it's like a normal external hard drive where i can just save or back up my files.

Can i use it as such?

i mean without connecting to the WIFI or Ethernet?

thank you!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on May 6, 2015 9:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 6, 2015 10:32 AM

It's confusing, but an "external" drive is one that connects directly to a computer using a USB or FireWire connection.

The Time Capsule is a "network" drive that connects to the router using a network Ethernet cable, so that it can be shared by all devices on the network. So, you need to connect the Time Capsule either to your modem, or to another router on the network using an Ethernet cable in order for it work correctly.

If you can tell us the make and model number of your "modem", we can provide a few more tips on how to set things up.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 6, 2015 10:32 AM in response to iamdonniemisa

It's confusing, but an "external" drive is one that connects directly to a computer using a USB or FireWire connection.

The Time Capsule is a "network" drive that connects to the router using a network Ethernet cable, so that it can be shared by all devices on the network. So, you need to connect the Time Capsule either to your modem, or to another router on the network using an Ethernet cable in order for it work correctly.

If you can tell us the make and model number of your "modem", we can provide a few more tips on how to set things up.

May 6, 2015 10:48 AM in response to iamdonniemisa

Connect from a LAN <--> port on your existing router to the WAN "O" port on the Time Capsule.

Once the Time Capsule is set up, you can back up by using the wireless, or connect the computer directly to one of the 3 Ethernet ports on the Time Capsule.

Try to use a wired connection for the first backup if possible, as this will usually be at 2-3 times faster than wireless.

Can I use TC as a regular external hard drive without connecting to the WIFI network or Ethernet?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.