Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I use the Facetime camera as a web camera?

Can and how do I use the Facetime camera as a web camera on my retina display 27" iMac?

Posted on May 6, 2015 10:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 6, 2015 11:24 AM

Your Camera is primarily for FaceTime however if you just want to use it for Photos while you are using your computer Click on PhotoBooth in the bottom Menu Bar.

Cheers

Don

4 replies

May 7, 2015 9:34 AM in response to texas44

texas44 wrote: Can and how do I use the Facetime camera as a web camera on my retina display 27" iMac?

You're FaceTime camera IS a webcam. You can certainly use it as such.

To use it for some specific purpose, simply launch any app that offers the function that you want.

Your Mac's OS X 10.10.x comes with several camera-enabled apps. In addition to the uses for FaceTime, Photo Booth, and Messages mentioned in this Apple Article, your Mac also comes with QuickTime Player (version 10) that can capture New Movie Recordings using your built-in camera. iMovie also lets you use your inbuilt camera to record video. You can even use Mail or the Preview app to create signature that you can use in their respective documents.

OS X 10.10..x also lets your camera add or change the pictures that appear in your Contact cards or System Preferences > Users & Groups.

In addition to the above mentioned Apple apps that can use your camera, you can find other apps that offer additional camera functions by searching the Mac App Store plus web download sites like this example.

Message was edited by: EZ Jim

Mac OSX 10.10.3

Can I use the Facetime camera as a web camera?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.