Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't change gmail password

I keep getting a message that my gmail password is incorrect. I know it is correct because I am receiving emails- but I can't sent them.

I know this is crazy and I feel so stoopid but I can't change my gmail password on my iPhone6. I go to Settings>Mail, Contacts, Calendars. Then I chose my gmail account. Next screen, I click on my gmail account. Next screen shows my Name, Email, Description, Outgoing Mail Server, and Advanced. It does not show my password of give an opportunity to change it.

Do I really have to delete the account and re-add it just to correct my password?

Posted on May 6, 2015 10:18 AM

4 replies

May 6, 2015 3:56 PM in response to mjadse

You can also go into Mail,Contacts,Calendars, tap on the account name. Then Account > SMTP > Gmail SMTP server and enter your password.

Unless you have a gmail MS Exchange account. Then you will have to delete it and add it back.

Note also that Google has started disabling passwords on what it considers "insecure" servers, unless you go to your gmail settings via a web browser and choose a setting to allow use from insecure servers.

And another complication is if you have enabled 2 factor authentication on your gmail account you will have to generate an application-specific password to use the generic mail app on the iPhone; your regular gmail password won't work.

Can't change gmail password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.