Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time machine has stopped deleting old files to make way for new backups.

The My Book I have used as my Time Machine for several years is now supposed to be full and no new backups can be made. Time Machine is still set to delete old versions. Time machine is also claiming that the update it is trying to make is over 600Gb which is the entire contents of my hard drive. I thought it should only be updating changed files not copying the whole disc again. Both internal and external drives are 1Tb.

Posted on May 6, 2015 10:26 AM

2 replies

May 6, 2015 10:40 AM in response to Pointless name

Why not simply retire the old drive and upgrade to a larger capacity? When you do you can also move your old backups to the new drive (so you don't lose the history) and then you are in business. I would recommend this time using a higher quality EHD than a WD, if you decide to I'd recommend an OWC Mercury Elite Pro. You can find them at:

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/firewire/1394/USB/EliteAL/eSATA_FW800_FW400_USB

To move your old TM files to the new drive follow the directions in:

Time Machine: How to transfer backups from a current backup drive to a new backup drive - Apple Support

Good luck.

Time machine has stopped deleting old files to make way for new backups.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.