Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Navigation doesn't start with Siri Eyes Free

I'm using iOS 8.3 (iPhone 6) with a 2016 Acura ILX. Bluetooth connection and Siri Eyes Free generally works fine. However, if I use Siri Eyes Free to ask for navigation, like "Take me home", although Siri responds with "Getting directions to home", the turn-by-turn directions never begin. If I unlock my phone and open the Maps app, the navigation will begin (and play through the car speaker as it should), but it's not very convenient to take my phone out of my pocket to get things started.

Am I doing something wrong? Is it normal behavior to not start navigation until the phone is unlocked? Is there a setting that I've missed?

iPhone 6, iOS 8.3, null

Posted on May 6, 2015 12:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 6, 2015 12:48 PM

Thank you for using the Apple Support Communities

This seems to be an issue when Siri thinks you are pressing a button to activate her she thinks you are looking at the screen (which is not the case). If your iPhone is connected to a power source in your vehicle, try the command "Hey Siri" to activate Siri (instead of pressing the button). This will force Siri to work on hands free mode. Hopefully a fix will be released in the future.

-Zeph

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 6, 2015 12:48 PM in response to WEBmikey

Thank you for using the Apple Support Communities

This seems to be an issue when Siri thinks you are pressing a button to activate her she thinks you are looking at the screen (which is not the case). If your iPhone is connected to a power source in your vehicle, try the command "Hey Siri" to activate Siri (instead of pressing the button). This will force Siri to work on hands free mode. Hopefully a fix will be released in the future.

-Zeph

May 25, 2015 8:23 PM in response to WEBmikey

I have this problem also. In my case it is with a JVC KD-X320BTS digital multimedia receiver just installed in my sons car to give him bluetooth hands and eyes free phone etc control. His phone is a new iphone 6 plus running IOS 8.3. In this system you activate Siri by holding down the phone button on the head unit. Everything works great, i.e. calling, messaging, music control etc. But as with the orginal poster, when you ask Siri for direction, the conversation goes fine and she says she is getting directions, but if the Maps app is NOT already open on the phone, nothing happens. If the Maps app is already open, everything works as expected. In this system I think the suggested "Hey Siri" workaround will not work, because I think that the microphone is not active until you hold down the phone button, which must be doing something equivalent to holding down the home button.

This behavior is the same whether the phone is untethered, or it is plugged into the USB port on the head unit (where it uses usb for music audio, but BT for phone and voice control).

So, yes this sounds like a IOS software bug to me.

Navigation doesn't start with Siri Eyes Free

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.