Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I use my iPad to control a desktop computer?

Is it possible to use an iPad (or iPhone) to remotely control either a Mac or Windows computer? I would like to be able to look at the desktop screen but use an iPad or iPhone instead of keyboard and mouse.

Posted on May 6, 2015 12:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 7, 2015 9:25 AM

An Apple accessory called Magic Trackpod will do this much better (and cheaper) than an iOS device.

User uploaded file

12 replies

May 7, 2015 10:07 AM in response to naomiUK

I use Microsoft desktop connection on my iPad (RD Client app) over a VPN connection with my Windows 7 desktop at work frequently. It works fine, although obviously the screen size of the iPad has some limitations. But it certainly works alright. I've also used SSH clients on iPads and iPhones for years to check in on linux servers as needed when away or traveling. Again, not ideal, but it works just fine.

P.S. There are a plethora of windows Remote Desktop clients, VNC clients and SSH clients for iPad and iPhone in the App Store.

May 8, 2015 8:10 AM in response to naomiUK

naomiUK wrote:

Thanks for this. Are there any that allow you to operate the iPad in such a way that doesn't involve moving a cursor round the screen? I briefly tried TeamViewer and found it frustrating trying to move the cursor on a touchscreen (as opposed to simply touching as I normally would on an iPad.)

As far as I know, any of the Windows Remore desktop clients will mimic a mouse cursor as they are interfacing with a Windows Remote Desktop server connection which could not interprete a touch interface (although I have not tried connecting to a Windows 8 touch display machine).

Can I use my iPad to control a desktop computer?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.