Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie update 10.0.8 hung in App Store, won't finish

My Mac Book Pro (early 2011; fully updated OS 10.3.3) App Store Application was showing "5" on the Dock icon. Opened it and I had 5 updates pending, including an update of iMovie to 10.0.8. I have 10.0.7 installed from an earlier update but had not yet opened it since update (rarely use iMovie).

I clicked "Update All" and closed the updater to let it run.

Coming back to my computer, I had a message to the effect the "iMovie Update failed to complete. To complete, return to App Store Updater." Reopening the App Store, I see that 4 of the updates had completed successfully but iMovie was still showing as needing an update. The icon on the Dock however is now showing "3" (rather than "1"), although the icon on the top bar of the the App Store is showing "1" on the updates icon.

In any event, when I now click on Update iMovie, I just get a spinning pinwheel on the top bar of the App Store and nothing happens. I've waited up to 10 minutes and the pinwheel is still spinning. No other activity is apparent.

When I open iMovie, "about" shows 10.0.7, so indeed the update has NOT installed.

Not sure whether this should be posted under iMovie or OS X App Store updater since I'm not sure where the problem lies. Any suggestions??

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on May 6, 2015 10:55 AM

5 replies

May 6, 2015 11:15 AM in response to willyjp

Brief addendum: The pinwheel on the Update of iMovie is still spinning now at about 40 minutes, but the icon on the Dock has now updated so both Update Pending counters (icon on the Dock and icon on the Top Bar of App Store) are now both in agreement at "1" pending update.

I could further clarify that when I first attempted this update of iMovie, a "crawl bar" did appear and showed the download of the update started with several hours pending to finish (slow internet here!). Now, after receiving that "did not complete" notice and re-trying to update iMovie, I only get the spinning pinwheel on the top bar. It never progresses to show a "crawl" or progress bar for the download.

May 19, 2015 3:42 PM in response to LostLake

After a couple of re-boots, and about a day later I came back and iMovie had installed!! I don't think it was anything I did. At the stage when I had a progress bar, it was moving VERY slowly so maybe it was just a slow install because it was a big app?? Not sure. My wife's MB Pro went through essentially the same thing when she did the update only hers was finished about 16 hrs. later.

May 28, 2015 3:44 AM in response to willyjp

I don't know if anyone is still having issues with this but I was having the same issue and I found that in the Updates tab in the AppStore, if you click the iMovie link that takes you to the full description, there is a button that says "Install" with an options down arrow for sharing. I clicked that install button and the download started instantly. As far as I can tell it is downloading but it is only 2GB of updates. Hope this helps others. 🙂

UPDATE: It is in fact downloading. My ISP is slow being DSL out in the country but it is downloading none the less.

iMovie update 10.0.8 hung in App Store, won't finish

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.