Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Random issues with WIFI

Hello there, as many of you, I recently discovered how annoying are issues with wifi. I'm happy owner of a Mid-2014 MacBook Pro Retina 15'', but my user experience is becoming day by day more frustrating.

Basically, what I'm dealing with are random wifi issue. My MacBook Pro remains connected to the wifi network, but Internet is not responding. While in this state other devices (e.g. wife's macbook air, iPhone 6) are perfectly working, not signal strength concerned.

The only way to solve is turning off / on Aiport card. For the records, it doesn't happen only to my computer, but also my wife's macbook air is affected (not at the same time)

Anyone is experiencing the same issue ?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on May 6, 2015 12:54 PM

5 replies

May 6, 2015 12:59 PM in response to Antuono

Same issue! Started after update - I cannot fix it at all. My partner's mac air (early 2014) is connected and working fine, mine (mid-2012) says its connected but will only load Facebook and gmail. Same on safari and chrome.

Will not load most sites and cannot download or update programs. Tried on several different wifi networks - I seem to be the only one with problems.

May 6, 2015 1:26 PM in response to Kateliterally

I believe our problems are slightly different.

My Macbook Pro was actually fine before last update, but I'm not sure the latter is at the origin of my problems. Additionally, my issues seem to happen to my wife's laptop as well. Surprisingly, issues don't happen simultaneously, and mostly remain limited to the affected device.

My hypothesis is that everything is due to ip lease although I've both selected reserved DHCP in Airport settings and assigned ip (mac address related) in router's settings.

Have you tried one of these solutions ? http://osxdaily.com/2014/10/25/fix-wi-fi-problems-os-x-yosemite/

I am going for the first one, just to see how long before my issue will happen again.

May 6, 2015 1:40 PM in response to Antuono

Yeah I have. I've been trying to fix this for a few days, so I've tried everything I can find.

I've actually tried deleting preferences several times, along with turning off bluetooth and iCloud etc.

There's been a lot of chatter in various places around the internet about wifi issues continuing, but I've had no fix. Really starting to get frustrated. I have access to two types of wifi for my uni campus and both are being nasty to me.

May 7, 2015 6:49 AM in response to Kateliterally

We all should give some credit to Apple. Fixing wifi issues is tough because many variables are involved (e.g. wifi router, os version, mac, interference, radio channel).

Have you tried switching to a different radio channel ? You can use the wifi diagnostic tool to scan for other wifi network, this allows you to find the best channel for your network.

I gave a change, but it didn't work in my case. I also registered a wifi log, but still I haven't had chances to forward it to Apple.

May 9, 2015 8:29 AM in response to Kateliterally

I am quite sure I solved the issue. Before explaining you how to do it, I should understand whether the issue is the same.

When you experience the problem could you please check your Wi-Fi ? You can do it by clicking on the Airport icon while keeping pressed "alt - option".

Please, tell me if you get a self-assigned ip address (e.g. 169.254.193.101) as shown in the following screenshot:

User uploaded file

A self-assigned ip address results in the computer (e.g. MacBook PRO) unable to retrieve a valid ip address from the router, then surfing the internet is not possibile.

How did I solve the self-assigned ip address ? I had to operate on both router's settings and computer settings.

Router (we have to bypass DHCP)

- Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

- DHCP start ip: 10.0.0.100 (if your gateway ip is 10.0.0.1)

User uploaded file

Computer's network preferences (we have to assign a static ip)

- Create a new location (e.g. Home)

- Manual IP: 10.0.0.X (were X should be < DHCP start ip to bypass it, e.g. 50)

- Remember to define a Subnet Mask, Gateway IP and very important your ISP DSN.

Random issues with WIFI

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.