Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud photo library stuck preparing library..

My iCloud photo library has been stuck preparing library on iCloud.com since forever. My phone does iCloud photo library fantastically (at least for reducing storage) but the Photos app has been stuck "updating" forever. I've tried deleting and re-enabling iCloud Photo Library but it just isn't working. I've signed in and out a few times but that doesn't seem to work. Is there some other way I can "reset" my iCloud account? There's something just not right with it.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on May 6, 2015 1:38 PM

7 replies

Jun 6, 2017 1:23 PM in response to Rysz

Hi,

I am having the same problem. It has not been a month, but it has been a day. I use an iphone and a windows computer. I am trying to create a backup the icloud photo library by installing icloud on the windows computer, but stuck at the same point. I would take the advice you gave, except I can't figure out how "ensure I have a backup of the photo library" when I am currently stuck in trying to implement the only backup solution that I have found. Is there another way to back up the library?

thanks,

Jessica

May 6, 2015 3:17 PM in response to Rysz

It's been preparing since I turned in on while it was in a public beta. I'm not sure when that was. My library was nothing huge. Maybe a couple gigs max. But since then i've cleared all the photos that I can so it could start fresh. Still not fixing the preparing issue. I mean it worked on my phone no problem but I could never get it to stop preparing on iCloud.com. Then the photos app on my computer wasn't working right either.

May 17, 2015 8:11 AM in response to Rysz

I define "forever" as being over 1 month since update to OS X Yosemite 10.10.3. I have 12,341 in Photos on my 2011 MBP. I upgraded to buy more storage space on iCloud for ~$3.00/month or whatever it is. In Photos I bounce repeatedly from statements like "Adding 68 items" to "Uploading 12,000" items" . Those statements will change slightly and I have seen brief glimpses of hope where the "Uploading..." gets to be smaller numbers...and then it goes right back up to 12,000 area. I get continual warning that my core is running hot and quitting processes. In Activity Monitor my "com.apple.photos.VideoConversionService" is at 308.8% as I write. Logging into iCloud > Photos itself it says I have ~9,000 pictures but wheel is spinning and frequently crashes and I am asked to send error report to Apple. Oh there is no joy here - ready to cancel this whole thing and go back to Google Backup which worked great on both iPhone and MBP and didn't uses anywhere close to the amount of resources that Photos - iCloud library is using.

May 17, 2015 9:14 AM in response to afsnyder

That is definitely not normal.

Please ensure you have a backup of your current Library. Launch Photos while holding down the Option + Command keys. Select to Repair your Library database.

If this does not resolve the issue, the problem might have been migrated from your iPhoto Library. In this case back up, then Repair the iPhoto Library (same method) and perform a fresh migration to Photos.

If you need to select the right Library at launch, hold down the Option key.

PS: That sized library should not take more than a couple of hours, including uploading to iCloud Photo Library, if you have that enabled.

May 18, 2015 8:58 PM in response to Rysz

Thanks Rysz!

That fixed it: "Launch Photos while holding down the Option + Command keys. Select to Repair your Library database."

Then I went to System Preferences > Energy Saver and set Computer sleep to 1 hour. Took a few hours for uploading and a short time for downloading what it did not have and only a couple of times did fans kick on eve though I saw some high activity in Activity monitor. Now my iPhone and MBP are synching. I only hope I did not damage my MBP over this last month. The other day while I was still in deep to my month long struggle of fans spinning CPU working over time did I see my screen pixelate - which is the telltale sign of video card being toasted. I know of this well - my Early 2011 has been repaired twice and I was recently reimbursed for those repairs courtesy of the recent MBP repair extension program for video issues at this point I can't afford nor want to repair for another $325. Regardless I have been searching for answers for a month and you solved it - thanks for sharing. - Peter

iCloud photo library stuck preparing library..

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.