Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Macbook late 2008 (Model: A1278) makes the S.O.S sound while booting.

The Screen remains black, no matter if press any of the shortcuts while booting. Tried resseting PRAM, reallocating Ram, Booting from linux, tried to install EFI Restoration CD with no success. Only the S.O.S beeps... Any help? I have a spare windows pc in case needed.

MacBook, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4)

Posted on May 6, 2015 12:09 PM

6 replies

May 6, 2015 12:22 PM in response to chencho787

Sorry ROM error.

Mac computers: About startup tones

Learn about the different sounds your computer makes when it starts up and what they mean.

Mac computers can produce several sounds when starting up. Your Mac should produce the familiar single tone on start up. If you hear another tone it can indicate problems with your computer.

• 1 tone, repeating every 5 seconds: This indicates no RAM is installed.
  • 3 successive tones, a 5 second pause (repeating): This indicates RAM does not pass a data integrity check.
  • 1 long tone while holding down the power button: Indicates an EFI ROM update is in progress on a computer manufactured before 2012.
  • 3 long tones, 3 short tones, 3 long tones: Indicates EFI ROM corruption is detected and the computer is in EFI ROM recovery mode.

Should you need to restore the EFI ROM on certain Mac computers produced before 2008, you'll need to use a recovery CD to restore the EFI ROM. Newer computers automatically recover from a corrupted ROM; when this occurs a progress bar appears on a grey background. Do not disturb the machine while the ROM recovery is taking place. It will restart back into OS X when it restarts. For more information on EFI ROMs, see EFI and SMC firmware updates for Intel-based Macs.

My Macbook late 2008 (Model: A1278) makes the S.O.S sound while booting.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.