Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mouse cursor turning invisible at random.

Since I've upgraded my late-2011 15-inch Macbook Pro to Mavericks my mouse cursor becomes invisible every now and then. I can't find a clear pattern.

It happens most frequently while browsing I think (in Firefox) but also in other applications. The cursor is still there, links get highlighted and I can click on things.

Moving to a different space with the keyboard shortcuts makes it visible, as does using Exposé, but it often turns invisible again when moving back to the active application.

I'm not using Yosimite as I understand its fonts look bad on my older non-retina Macbook, and I don't need any of it's features. (I think the new flat design is ugly and less usable as well) so I'm not going to upgrade.

I've tried changing my power saving settings as that seems to solve it for some people.

I get it when using the built-in trackpad, when using the magic mouse, when having nothing connected and when having lots or peripherals, like an external HD and second monitor, etc. I can't deduce a pattern but it's really annoying.

Closing the application solves the problem, sometimes switching to a different tab, moving the mouse, randomly clicking or other things like that seem to solve it after a minute or so. I did not have the issue in Snow Leopard, Lion or Mountain Lion.

Posted on May 6, 2015 2:58 PM

There are no replies.

Mouse cursor turning invisible at random.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.