Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will unlocked Sprint iPhone 5 work on GSM?

New rules / laws took effect recently causing Sprint to allow carrier unlocking of certain phones for international use (outside the US). I had them unlock 2 of my Sprint iPhone 5's for this purpose. I had to backup, erase, and restore them for the change to take effect, but there was no confirmation other than calling the Sprint customer service people to confirm that they had been unlocked for international SIM card usage.

I understand that these Sprint (as well as Verizon) iPhone 5's are capable of CDMA and GSM usage (and they do have SIM card slots).

Just double checking that these phones are indeed capable of operating in, for example, Europe on their GSM networks if install a local carrier's SIM card in it. I was told by Sprint that this is true, but just thought I would ask for independent confirmation.

Any additional info is welcome.

Thanks

Posted on May 6, 2015 2:26 PM

3 replies

Will unlocked Sprint iPhone 5 work on GSM?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.