Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Molly Jefferson popped up on my window asking If i am having trouble. She was a Apple/MacExpert. Is this Legit???

All of a sudden "a chat program with Molly Jefferson a Mac/Expert popped up on my window asking If I was having trouble with my computer. Is this legit? I didn't answer.

MacBook Pro (17-inch 2.4 GHz), iOS 7.0.2, 10.7.5 OS -

Posted on May 6, 2015 3:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 6, 2015 3:10 PM

It is a scam. Never, ever respond to such messages that you haven't initiated.

10 replies

May 7, 2015 7:07 AM in response to Marjorie Polack

Marjorie Polack wrote:

I have MacOptimizer and MacTracker on my computer. Are these OK? Would you please suggest a good program to monitor and clean my system.

MacOptimizer is garbage, as are all other programs designed to "monitor and clean" your system. That is not needed, and can be harmful. Uninstall MacOptimizer and don't install it, or anything else like it, again. For details, see:

The myth of the dirty Mac

As for MacTracker, that should be fine from what I can tell about it, unless it has some kind of "cleaning" feature that is not immediately apparent from looking at the MacTracker website.

(Fair disclosure: I may receive compensation from links to my sites, TheSafeMac.com and AdwareMedic.com.)

May 7, 2015 7:17 AM in response to lkrupp

lkrupp wrote:

I wonder why the FTC, the BBB, the Consumer Fraud Protection people, et al, haven’t gone after these fraudsters. Where are the lawsuits and criminal charges?

How do you prove fraud to a bureaucratic organization in which few, if any, understand the lack of technical merit to the claims of an app like MacKeeper?

Heck, there is at least one Mac anti-virus program that has, for many years, failed to detect the vast majority of all Mac malware in existence in real-world testing. I'd call MacKeeper a lesser order of fraud than that, yet even so, I still see inexperienced people here recommending that anti-virus app from time to time.

The software market today is like the Wild West... laws are weak and inadequate, and people can do whatever they like as long as they don't cross the invisible line into creating actual malware.

Molly Jefferson popped up on my window asking If i am having trouble. She was a Apple/MacExpert. Is this Legit???

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.