Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Capsule Stops Sending WIFI Signal

Recently my Time Capsule has been cutting out about once per day, mostly early to mid evening. The green light on the TC is on, but no wireless signal is detectable. Restarting by unplugging and power on fixes the problem for a day or so. Would a reset of some type help? I have a couple year old 2T Time Capsule configured at 802.11n.

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on May 6, 2015 3:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 7, 2015 12:32 PM

Hi Stephen

It is not the TC but Yosemite 10.10.1 upgrade to 10.10.3 and your problem will disappear.

Ted

9 replies

May 8, 2015 4:25 AM in response to tedfromharrogate

Ted, Thanks again. However, are you able to give me more specific steps to doing what you suggested. I went to Airport Utility and couldn't easily find how to change the settings as you suggested. How do I set up a different network for the different speeds etc.? I have a main Network and a Guest Network. Airport Utility is updated to the latest Firmware etc.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

May 8, 2015 6:32 AM in response to Stephen 1964

Hi Stephen

Here are the screen captures to try to assist you

User uploaded fileclick on the wireless tab, this will give you this screen

User uploaded file At this point you can insert the name you want for the 2.4GHz range now click on the wireless options button to give you the following screen.

User uploaded file

As you can see you can have a separate name for the 5GHz range.

Update the device, you will have to type in the passwords you have chosen I use the same for both networks for simplicity.

Hope that helps if not shout

Ted

May 10, 2015 5:59 AM in response to Stephen 1964

One of the first things that Apple will do when you call them is ask you to perform a factory default reset on the Time Capsule and then set it up again. You might want to give that a try before you call support if only to save some time on the phone. Sometimes a complete reset will do the trick, sometimes not. It is probably worth a try.

To perform a factory default reset......

Power off the Time Capsule by pulling the power cord from the back of the device. Be sure that the TC is not backing up at the time.

Wait a minute

Hold in the reset button first, and keep holding it in for an additional 7-8 seconds while you simultaneously plug the power back into the Time Capsule. (This is tricky....you almost need to have 3 hands to do this)

Release the reset button after the hold period and allow a full minute for the Time Capsule to restart to a slow, blinking amber light status

The Time Capsule is now fully reset and can be set up again. The default reset will not affect the data on the Time Capsule hard drive in any way.

If the problems persist, then there are a few more checks that you can perform.....or.....if you prefer, you can do these before you try a factory default reset on the Time Capsule.

If you can do without wireless for a few days, try connecting a computer directly to one of the LAN <--> ports on the Time Capsule to see if the connection is maintained. If it is, you likely have a wireless radio problem on the Time Capsule. In that case, you can still use the Time Capsule as a wired hard drive and simply turn off the wireless and use another router for wireless.

If the connection drops when the computer is connected to the Ethernet port, then that points to a power supply issue on the Time Capsule. On average, the TC power supply starts heading downhill at about 3 years of age, and when this occurs, connection drops begin. The drops will increase in frequency as time passes. It's probably time for a replacement.

Time Capsule Stops Sending WIFI Signal

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.