Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Macbook Air's small hard drive is all filled and I can't open mail. I need to copy some of the mail files to a flash drive and change my mail setting so it won't copy emails to the disk to reduce space..and allow computer to work.

I have a Mac Book Air.. mid 2012.. 120 Gig HD. All filled so programs won't open.. only Safari will. I can't get into my mail. 70 G of drive is Other.

39 G are Applications. So I have to get the Other smaller and copied to a flash drive. I have copied all files in the Documents folder that I recognize to a flash drive.
I think my problem is that I have been saving my emails (mostly gmails) in folders on the computer and I need to somehow open Mail so I can change whatever setting I set up to do this so I can keep memory free for the computer to work. I want to store all the files I can on an external flash drive or HD if possible because this computer has such a small HD. Currently Mail will only quit unexpectedly and therefore I can't get in to delete or change things.

I have been working with an Apple person but so far no success.

I would very much appreciate whatever help you can provide. We have tried all the normal steps... emptying trash... emptying caches..

HELP!!!!!

Thank you in advance for any assistance you can offer..

Fran

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on May 6, 2015 2:59 PM

4 replies

May 6, 2015 6:36 PM in response to OGELTHORPE

I am hesitant to do try these two suggestions because I know very little about what I am doing in those modes.

Might there not be another suggestion of something to try.

I thought if there was a way to make a bootable backup on an external hard drive.. The external HD would have much space and I could run the computer remotely some sort. Then I could get into my mail act and change the preferences, delete things, etc. Then I could somehow use one of my time capsule backups to get the computer itself up and running with memory available after I got rid of all the mail emails saved.

Am I way off base?

My Macbook Air's small hard drive is all filled and I can't open mail. I need to copy some of the mail files to a flash drive and change my mail setting so it won't copy emails to the disk to reduce space..and allow computer to work.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.