Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMessage / Text Message - iPhone 6 defaulting to text message...

I recently had no data allowance left for the month so had to send messages by text message when away from wifi - some of these contacts are iPhone users, and now when I have data or wifi I cannot send them imessages, only text messages.

It's very frustrating as I often send pictures with these people, and it's not possible for me via text.

Please help. So annoying.

Thank you.

iPhone 6, iOS 8.3

Posted on May 6, 2015 2:47 PM

1 reply

May 8, 2015 2:12 PM in response to alexjhaines

Hello Alex,

Thanks for contributing to the Apple Support Communities.

It seems like after sending text messages to some contacts with iPhones, you're not able to send them iMessages. It is frustrating when features on a device stop working as they should. There are some good troubleshooting steps that can help you send iMessages again.

First, try toggling iMessage off and on again:

Go to Settings > Messages and turn iMessage off, then back on.

If you still can't send iMessages to your contacts with iPhones, try signing out and back in to iMessage:

1. Go to Settings > Messages > Send & Receive, tap your Apple ID, then tap Sign Out.
  2. Go to Settings > FaceTime, tap your Apple ID, then tap Sign Out.
  3. On your iPhone first, sign back in to iMessage and Facetime.
  4. Sign back in to iMessage and Facetime on your other devices.

You can find these steps and some additional troubleshooting help at this link:

If you can't send or receive messages on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Best Regards,

Jeremy

iMessage / Text Message - iPhone 6 defaulting to text message...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.