Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MBP 13 Retina Late 2012 - Backlight on after waking up from sleep

So here is the problem.

1st scenario

When watching movies/tv shows/tv shows I turn off the keyboard backlight all the way down until its completely off. When I'm done I shut the lid close and leave the Mac to sleep. Next time, when I open the lid, the keys are lit at their minimum lighting setting. Why is that?

2nd scenario

When typing I'm not really in need of backlight, generally, so I turn the keyboard backlight all the way down until its completely off. When I step away from the computer after 15 minutes it goes to sleep (without closing the lid). When I press a button my Mac wakes up but the keyboard is, again, lit at its minimum setting. How come?

Thanks for the help!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), 13" Late 2012

Posted on May 6, 2015 4:25 PM

1 reply

May 8, 2015 2:48 PM in response to Auxburgo

Hi Auxburgo,

Thanks for participating in the Apple Support Communities.

It looks like the keyboard backlight on your MacBook Pro is not behaving as it should when you put the Mac to sleep.

Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC) can help clear up this symptom:

Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support

The keyboard backlight appears to behave incorrectly (on Mac computers that have this feature).

To reset the SMC:

1. Shut down the computer.
  2. Plug in the MagSafe or USB-C power adapter to a power source and to your computer.
  3. On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.
  4. Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.
  5. Press the power button to turn on the computer.

On MagSafe power adapters, the LED might change states or temporarily turn off when you reset the SMC.

All the best,

Jeremy

MBP 13 Retina Late 2012 - Backlight on after waking up from sleep

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.