Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone safari and chrome browser hijack

My iPhone browsers seem to have been hijacked. When I open some sites and click on anything on those sites or even touch the screen, a new browser tab opens up and directs to some ad kind of sites. Sometimes it even blanks out the site i was on. I downloaded chrome hoping that will help me browse but the same problem occurs. please help!

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.3

Posted on May 6, 2015 3:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 10, 2015 12:00 AM

I have just discovered this issue as well. I have tested this on several phones (5S, 4S, 6) with iOS 8.2 & 8.3 with the Safari browser on the wireless network. Chrome does not have a problem. But browsing to any site (foxtel.com.au, klappav.com.au, volumestore.com.au, cricket.com.au, battle.net etc) generates the redirect process to a localised spam ad. The sequence of ad serving sites after going to the desired site is as follows:

abc.mobile-10.com

aflrm.com

secureleadgen.com

apx.irck.avazutracking.net

struct.nt-com.co (final site with the spam promotion)

Using cellular internet access appears to be fine.

This has been also verified using two different internet services Wifi connections. I have checked for DNS hacking on both routers as well and this is not the cause.

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 10, 2015 12:00 AM in response to JimHdk

I have just discovered this issue as well. I have tested this on several phones (5S, 4S, 6) with iOS 8.2 & 8.3 with the Safari browser on the wireless network. Chrome does not have a problem. But browsing to any site (foxtel.com.au, klappav.com.au, volumestore.com.au, cricket.com.au, battle.net etc) generates the redirect process to a localised spam ad. The sequence of ad serving sites after going to the desired site is as follows:

abc.mobile-10.com

aflrm.com

secureleadgen.com

apx.irck.avazutracking.net

struct.nt-com.co (final site with the spam promotion)

Using cellular internet access appears to be fine.

This has been also verified using two different internet services Wifi connections. I have checked for DNS hacking on both routers as well and this is not the cause.

May 22, 2017 1:10 PM in response to kirti19

I have found a simple solution:

1. Text a website URL to yourself. Then when the text comes tap on the link. This will force Safari to open the URL in a new page. Then fan out the pages and you can swipe off the offending pages that are hijacking your phone.

Or

2. Email any website URL to yourself. Open the email with your phone. Tap on the URL. This also will force Safari to open the URL in a new page. Then fan out the pages and you can swipe off the offending pages that are hijacking your phone.

May 6, 2015 4:19 PM in response to kirti19

This is happening because of bad ads or an infected ad server feeding that site. These ads are designed to randomly redirect mobile device users to other sites. It has nothing to do with your iPad. The random nature of the re-directs is intended to confuse the user and keep this garbage below the radar.

Turning OFF Javascript bypasses this problem because the mechanism implementing the redirects uses Javascript. This is not really a solution, however, because turning Off Javascript affects all sites and will certainly cause problems.

Complain to the infected websites to get these ads removed.

Dec 29, 2015 12:51 PM in response to rotordawg

rotordawg wrote:

I have been having the same issue when visiting huffingtonpost.com Tried closing safari and erasing history. Didn't work

If this just happens on huffingtonpost.com report it to them. If it is across all websites see here: https://support.malwarebytes.org/customer/portal/articles/2049288-how-can-i-trou bleshoot-my-wireless-router-or-modem-wit…

Jan 6, 2016 10:49 AM in response to AJ397

I also had the same problem, exactly, on Huffington Post in Safari AND Chrome. I posted in the other thread on this. I contacted huffingtonpost and Robin at teamaol.com got back to me, they must handle their ad feeds. She was aware of the problem, but had not solution as of our last correspondence a few days ago. I had to delete chrome all together and reinstall. But it happened again. I'm not going to hufffingtonpost now on my phone until this is solved. I'm surprised there aren't more reports of this, could it be something else that huffington post is just triggering?

Apr 8, 2016 3:32 PM in response to Pankaj119

hi,

i can also confirm that both my wife and i are experiencing similar issues on our devices (iPhone 5s, iPhone 6s, both running iOS v9.3.1)

it seems as if any link that we click redirects to various ads.

i'm aware that this is probably due to rogue ads of the ad network, but i'd expect that a solution would exist for this issue.

installing content blockers, such as 1Blocker didn't work 😟

i tried to capture the redirect sequence (see below images):

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Apr 9, 2016 3:26 PM in response to kirti19

hi,

i just wanted to report that i finally sorted out the issue.

my router's DNS was hijacked, as described in this article:

https://sentrant.com/2015/03/25/ad-fraud-malware-hijacks-router-dns-injects-ads- via-google-analytics/

once i reset the DNS settings to my ISP's servers links are working correctly without redirecting me to rogue sites.

i've also reset my router's credentials, because apparently this was the source of the attack (previously the my ISPs default username/password was used).

i hope this will be help you guys 😉

iPhone safari and chrome browser hijack

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.