Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

itunes not saving new additions to its library

Hello,

I have noticed recently that as my iTunes library has grown,

it has started sending me notices that say that it's unable

to save any new songs that are added to its library - any songs.

This means that if I ever quit iTunes and reopen it,

it won't show anything I have added since the last time I quit it.

It is not that it doesn't have enough drive space, because it clearly does -

even more so now that I've expanded its room to grow. All the tunes,

even new ones that have been added can be played with no problem,

but I don't dare close iTunes.

A couple of days ago, I completely got rid of everything associated with iTunes

(except for the saved library) and reinstalled it. After it was pointed to

the library and filled up, it, again, gave me a "code" message window

saying that it cannot save what's been added when it got to the end of

filling up the iTunes window.

The bigger problem now is that since I've started from scratch,

if I close iTunes now, it will be empty when I open it back up

and it will take another really long time to fill it.

Anyone have a solution?

Thanks.

Mac Pro (Early 2009), Mac OS X (10.6.8), RAM: 16 GB

Posted on May 6, 2015 3:58 PM

13 replies

May 6, 2015 10:40 PM in response to Chris CA

iTunes 10.7 and OS 10.6.8.

I'll have to look thru some screen grabs

of the exact message because when it shows up,

I usually tick the box for it to never show again.

I'll go thru these tomorrow after breakfast.

I believe it is something like: "the iTunes Library file

cannot be saved," then there's a "do not warn me again" box.

The version and OS probably wouldn't matter in this case because,

it's been working properly for years under those same versions until

the library started getting very large (nearly 8TB & 600,000 tunes now,

but began having problems around the time that it was about two-thirds that size).

I'll do more research on iTunes error codes and see if I can find exactly what mine says.

Rod

May 7, 2015 8:03 AM in response to Rod Stasick

I take it with you saying there are 600,000 tracks/8TB of media (aside -- boy, I wish I could afford to spend over half a million dollars on music) that this is not stored on an internal drive on your 6 year old computer, so we have not been told the full story. The snippet of an error message you mentioned suggests there are problems in saving the library file which is a very specific database file (iTunes Library.itl) which holds information about where media files are located on the computer. It is quite possible it isn't a problem with "adding music" to iTunes, it is a problem with re-writing the library file. It is also possible you do not use iTunes default preferences for media storage and if this is the case we need to know. In general we need to be updated on the whole story such as what you did to "expand its room".

If this issue involves a NAS then it is no surprise you are having problems.

May 7, 2015 1:48 PM in response to Limnos

Thanks Chris for the "reset warnings" reminder.

After I did that I was waiting for the warning dialogue to return and it didn't,

so I put in a disc, added more tunes and still no warnings.

I may have fixed the problem, but the only way to know is to close and reopen iTunes

which if it isn't fixed will show as empty and I'll have to wait days for refilling it.

I'll find a "good" time to check this (if there is such a thing).

The only thing extra I did after the complete reinstall (and its following dire warnings of "not saving")

was to "consolidate files." This ran all night and may have taken care of the problem.

If it hasn't, I have this page to go to. I didn't know that "consolidate" really needed to be run and

discovered that copies are then made of the originals when this is done, so I'm hoping that has fixed the problem.

As for the "whole story" - it is not really needed here if my setup had previously and consistently been working fine over the years

and, again, there's been no change in OS or general manner of use. Yes, actually, until May 1, for many years, I have had these tunes stored on internal drives (2X4TB) with external backups working just fine. As of May 1, the tunes went to external drives and iTunes knows the new media location. The problem is not a sudden one related to any major change, but more of an accumulated one (it began small and occasional at least a year ago).

I have considered the re-writing of the library file as the problem.

The defaults on the internals and now, instead, the externals is and has been

iTunes/iTunes Media/Music for the folders and the library files have always been

username/Music/iTunes/iTunes Library.xml (and/or .itl as the case may be).

I'll close and reopen iTunes soon to see if everything is fine now.

thanks to both of you,

Rod

May 10, 2015 6:25 AM in response to Rod Stasick

Well, after some days, I've discovered that the message is this:

"The iTunes Library file cannot be saved. An unknown error occurred (-50)."

So, a search on this gets me to other people who've had this problem,

but sometimes someone will say, "Look here for the answer" and the link

is sent to a dead page, so I'm still searching for a recent example with a

page of someone successfully conquering this problem. Maybe it's an Library.itl problem -

just guessing, but I'm still searching...

Also, I'm considering freeing up some disc space

on the drive that's holding the library.xml and itl files.

I'm using 1.81 of 2 TB there, so maybe that could be the problem.

Since it's been a somewhat gradual occurrence, I'm hoping that this is the answer.

Rod

May 11, 2015 10:55 AM in response to Rod Stasick

As for the "whole story" - it is not really needed here if my setup had previously and consistently been working fine over the years

Yes it has and now it isn't and we need to find the reason which could well be in the configuration. Well, now that we have managed to squeeze some system configuration information out of you... 🙂

http://forums.macosxhints.com/archive/index.php/t-31161.html

Error code -50 is a generic code meaning there's some sort of communication difficulty. Yes, this is an old document but some error codes have remained unchanged for years. There are some specific -50 errors/solutions related to iTunes downloads but this seems to be one related to your drives. Apple's description of -50 isn't saying much but it is suggesting there is a problem with the drives (or something in between). If clearing a bit of space helps then you may be right there is a space crunch, particularly if the library file is hosted on the external drives. You only need look at iTunes and it suddenly needs to re-write the entire library file. It is always doing that so if space is tight you may even be running into fragmentation issues (unusual on Macs). Sometimes it is better to only keep media on the external drives if there is any reason to suspect a speed bottleneck in the connection.

May 30, 2015 5:08 PM in response to Limnos

For those people who might have this problem in the future...

After working on this for a number of weeks,

it does appear to be the cramped internal drive

space problem for the library.xml file. It was residing

on an internal drive that was nearly filled to capacity.

I had thought that the problem lie in the actual

music folders themselves, but I continued to have

this error code -50 appear even after I had transferred

all of my music from internal to external drives on May 1.

So, in short, make sure that your library.xml file is on a drive

that has plenty of room.

Rod

May 30, 2015 7:30 PM in response to Rod Stasick

Rod Stasick wrote:

After working on this for a number of weeks, it does appear to be the cramped internal drive space problem for the library.xml file. It was residing on an internal drive that was nearly filled to capacity.

As a general rule, you should always keep ~10%-15% of the internal/boot drive free. This gives the OS space to do what it needs to with the files.

So, in short, make sure that your library.xml file is on a drive that has plenty of room.

iTunes doe into use the .xml file. It is created solely for other applicatioj to access the iTunes library.

Besides, my .xml file is only 25MB.

This is with ~9000 songs, 1500 CDs, +900 movies, +400 tv shows.

I had thought that the problem lie in the actual music folders themselves, but I continued to have this error code -50 appear even after I had transferred all of my music from internal to external drives on May 1.

So, in short, make sure that your library.xml file is on a drive that has plenty of room.

Keep everything together inside the iTunes folder, wherever it is.

May 30, 2015 9:51 PM in response to Chris CA

Yes, I do understand the 10 to 15% rule, this is why I mentioned that it was important to have the room.

I suppose you can state that both the .xml and the .itl files should have plenty of room combined.

In my case, it really was down to very little room on the drive. Probably enough to affect the relatively

large library files (about 1GB for the .xml and 200MB for the .itl) in such an increasingly shrinking small space.

itunes not saving new additions to its library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.