Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

On Safari, I received a notice my computer has adware/spyware virus.

While on Safari, I received a notice: http://www.mac-firewall-alert.com

(1) Mac Firewall warning:

YOUR COMPUTER HAS ADWARE / SPYWARE VIRUS

Then I'm given a phone number to call which was toll free. The person I talked with said he was with Rapid Info Technology. I could hardly understand his accent. I was skeptical, of course - but the notice on my screen could not be deleted, nor could I close Safari. I finally shut down the computer and tried again. Same thing. This time I shut Safari with Control-Q and opened Google Chrome. That notice did not pop up there. I will go more into my discussion with the gentleman I spoke to -- if there's anyone out there in this Apple Support Community that has heard of this happening. Thanks!!

iMac (21.5-inch Mid 2010), Mac OS X (10.7.5), Lion

Posted on May 6, 2015 4:29 PM

5 replies

May 6, 2015 4:36 PM in response to hello2gina

It was a SCAM, this guy was a thief!. If you gave control of the computer to this guy then the computer must be be totally wiped clean and all applications and data be restored from a backup. The reason being is the guy is a thief and who knows what he has gotten into. You will also need to reset all passwords and notify your financial institutions.

If he did not take control of the computer then you likely only have some malware installed, possibly just some adware which you can remove by using AdWareMedic, please Google it and run it.

Good luck!

May 7, 2015 3:30 AM in response to hello2gina

hello2gina wrote:

The person I talked with said he was with Rapid Info Technology.

Did you give this person remote access to your computer? To do so, you would have had to download and install something he told you to install.

If you did this, your computer is compromised. You will need to erase the hard drive and reinstall everything from scratch, or restore from backups made prior to the phone call.

If you didn't, the scam can't hurt you.

For more information, see:

Tech support scam pop-ups

(Fair disclosure: I may receive compensation from links to my sites, TheSafeMac.com and AdwareMedic.com.)

On Safari, I received a notice my computer has adware/spyware virus.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.