Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone baseband crash (searching)

My iPhone 5 constantly says 'searching', sometimes it will get a signal if wifi is on or plugged in to a computer. I ran a diagnostic tool and when my phone loses signal it says 'baseband crash', which I believe is part of the firmware for the cellular modem.

" May 6 23:53:42 iPhone CommCenter[19] <Emergency>: EURCoreDump: Baseband crash: Error detected on remote processor. [err.c:518]

Exception detected [ :Excep :0] "

I took the phone to Apple and they said they found no problems but they'd replace it for £200. Three have simply ignored my requests for help. As this seems like a software error I find it disgusting that Apple would charge £200 for a new phone when I have no control over the firmware and software. Before anyone says do the whole factory reset mallarchy, I'll tell you I've done that and countless other things. Having a hard time finding an actual person with knowledge of this stuff as Apple store geniuses are merely salespeople. Help would

iPhone 5, iOS 8.3

Posted on May 6, 2015 4:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 6, 2015 4:24 PM

It sounds like the Retail store believes the device to have faulty hardware, and that is why they offered you an out of warranty replacement. If you have restored the device to factory and the problem persists, then a hardware replacement is necessary.

5 replies

May 6, 2015 4:27 PM in response to smash4686

Have you ever jailbroken your phone, or attempted to? If you have restored the phone and it still does not work correctly, your would go to Apple. Since you went to see Apple and they recommended an out of warranty replacement, it sounds as if there was a hardware issue. The only other assistance you could receive would be from your cellular provider, and you say they will not help. So you are at a decision point. Replace the device, or deal with the phone going into Searching.

May 7, 2015 12:35 PM in response to smash4686

No I've not jailbroken it. The salesman at the retail store told me he could find 'nothing wrong with it' and then suggested replacing the phone but why would I replace a phone they found nothing wrong with? By default they offer a complete replacement rather then giving the option to actually find out if there is anything indeed wrong, that I believe to be a firmware fault. What I'm saying is that software is down to either Apple or the network provider. Look at it this way, if people were to replace their phones when out of warranty because of a software fault what would stop Apple or Three from introducing a software fault themselves? I am waiting on Three to reply but their customer service is none existent.

May 22, 2015 10:44 AM in response to smash4686

Update. Three have FINALLY emailed me back with what I was looking for. Their technical support is telling me that the phone isn't working because of the latest iOS update. So this is what I believe and what they believe in that it is a software error, which means Apple were trying to charge me £210 for a new phone after iOS8.3 bugged mine out. I'm sorry but that sounds like a massive con.

"Our technical department has looked into your concern. The concern you face with the device is due to an operating system update.

Just so you know the baseband firmware is customized for network providers however this is always provided by the manufacturer. I will request you to do a complete back of your phone first. You will need to update the software on the phone and can then restore the data through iTunes.

If this doesn’t resolve the problem then you’ll have to contact Apple for further help.

If there’s anything else I can help you with, please write to us."

Indeed I shall be getting in touch with Apple.

iPhone baseband crash (searching)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.