Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

sorting with two header columns

Hello,

I'm using the current version of Numbers on OSX 10.9.

I'm trying to build a table in numbers where I can sort with one main header column and a secondary header column. The data in the column A is the same multiple times, when relating to column B, so my first thought was to merge the cells, but Numbers won't let me sort with merged cells (Table 1). Column B is numerical, with duplicate values as you go down the line, so I can't sort from just column B. I'd like to be able to sort so that A and B stay alphabetical / numerical, but also together. The only solution I've been able to come up with is to duplicate the data for each row in column A, (table 2), but that looks clumsy and hard to read. Is there a better way to do this? Thanks!

Table 1

aaa

bbb

ccc

ddd

Table 2

aaa

aaa

aaa

bbb

bbb

ccc

ddd

ddd

ddd

ddd

Numbers-OTHER, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on May 6, 2015 5:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 7, 2015 3:51 AM

Hi rahvin,

Best practice in Numbers is to avoid merged cells unless they are really important in your final presentation table.

When working on a table, merged cells will stop sorting.

Your Table 2 is the Numbers way (no merged cells, and each Row has values for sorting. Each Row is a unique record):

User uploaded file

You can 'hide' the unwanted values in Column A by selecting the cells and:

Format Panel > Text > Set the Text colour to match the cell fill colour.

I am using the Colour Window > Crayons > Mercury

User uploaded file

Now set some lower borders to None:

Select certain cells and Format Panel > Cell > Border > Lower Border > Border Styles > No Border

User uploaded file

That gives the appearance of merged cells, but they are not merged. The values are still there, but invisible. Sorting by Column A will work correctly.

Fiddly? Yes.

Regards,

Ian.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 7, 2015 3:51 AM in response to rahvin37

Hi rahvin,

Best practice in Numbers is to avoid merged cells unless they are really important in your final presentation table.

When working on a table, merged cells will stop sorting.

Your Table 2 is the Numbers way (no merged cells, and each Row has values for sorting. Each Row is a unique record):

User uploaded file

You can 'hide' the unwanted values in Column A by selecting the cells and:

Format Panel > Text > Set the Text colour to match the cell fill colour.

I am using the Colour Window > Crayons > Mercury

User uploaded file

Now set some lower borders to None:

Select certain cells and Format Panel > Cell > Border > Lower Border > Border Styles > No Border

User uploaded file

That gives the appearance of merged cells, but they are not merged. The values are still there, but invisible. Sorting by Column A will work correctly.

Fiddly? Yes.

Regards,

Ian.

sorting with two header columns

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.