Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

at the moment I have a iPad mini 1st generation and i was wondering if I could upgrade to the 2nd or 3d generation. If so would it cost anything?

the reason I have started this is because at the moment I have a iPad mini 1st generation and i was wondering if I could upgrade to the 2nd or 3d generation. If so would it cost anything?

iPad Mini, iOS 8.3, Oldest version of iPad mini

Posted on May 6, 2015 6:22 PM

4 replies

May 6, 2015 6:37 PM in response to Jubilee26636

You will have to check in your area, but Apple may offer a trade-in value for your iPad mini in the form of a store credit, Other stores have also offered similar, sometimes better trade-in values, but again they are in the form of store credits. If you trade in your iPad to Apple, then you will still have to pay the difference between the trade-in value & the cost of the newer iPad.

May 6, 2015 6:40 PM in response to Jubilee26636

Jubilee26636 wrote:

the reason I have started this is because at the moment I have a iPad mini 1st generation and i was wondering if I could upgrade to the 2nd or 3d generation. If so would it cost anything?

Yes, it would cost something. Also, Apple does not have a trade-in program, they offer recycling, and the store credit is minimal. If you want to try and recuperate some of the cost of your device, then sell it outright. As the other poster stated, some retail stores offer trade-in programs, you would have to search for those.

May 6, 2015 6:42 PM in response to Jubilee26636

No, Apple does not do trade ins. The only way to upgrade to an iPad Mini 2 or 3 is to buy one out right.

You may submit your iPad in for recycling and get a gift card with a fraction of its value, but its not a direct trade in. You need to go through one of Apple's recycling partners to get the gift card.

https://www.apple.com/recycling/

however your more than likely to get more money for it if you sell it out right yourself.

May 6, 2015 7:12 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

Just for clarity, you can take select devices to an Apple Store (the iPad is one of them) and they will inspect your iPad and make an offer for a gift card as jazzman said above. You do not have to go through the website or anyone else for the card they will do it at the store. Their prices are usually somewhat lower than other places that buy Apple devices. The device has to be in working order. While Apple calls it recycling the net effect is a trade in.

For anyone doing this with an iPhone there are additional strings attached.

at the moment I have a iPad mini 1st generation and i was wondering if I could upgrade to the 2nd or 3d generation. If so would it cost anything?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.