Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

opening appleworks 6.2.9 with pages 5.5.3

I would like to transfer appleworks 6.2.9 documents to my Pages 5.5.3. Nothing happens when I use use the 'open with' option from the 'control' click menu. Is there another format that I can save these documents in, which will open in Pages? Thanks for any ideas.

MacBook, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), Mac book intel duo

Posted on May 6, 2015 5:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 6, 2015 6:12 PM

Pages 5.5.3 can not open AppleWorks files. Pages '09 could up until OS X 10.6.8.

or

Save the AppleWorks documents to .doc or .txt files.

Peter

5 replies

May 6, 2015 7:56 PM in response to ginasdad

If you have a OS X 10.6.8 system with AppleWorks 6.2.9 installed, then Peter's advice prevails. Otherwise, the latest LibreOffice v4.4.2 can open ClarisWorks/AppleWorks v5/v6 word processing, spreadsheets, and drawing files, which can then be resaved in Word formats. It does not process Pages documents. The accuracy would be determined by the complexity of those AW documents.

LibreOffice is a free MS Office replacement suite. There is one file to drag/drop in the installer. After installation, it may be easier to drag/drop the LibreOffice application icon onto your Dock, and then drag/drop your AW documents on that icon.

May 8, 2015 4:12 PM in response to ginasdad

Saving as another file type in AppleWorks isn't as simple as it is in more current programs but it can be done. AppleWorks 6 is really an OS 8/9 program that was carbonized to run in OS X & it was never coded to "understand" extensions in OS X. Choose "Save As..." from the File menu & change the "File Format" in the drop-down menu. You do need to add the appropriate file extension to the file name as Windows does not know what program to use without it and AppleWorks will not add it for you. If it gives you an error that the extension is .cwk just click OK or accept both & then change the extension in the Finder to just .doc.

opening appleworks 6.2.9 with pages 5.5.3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.