Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ethernet will not connect with yosemite update

27" iMac working fine until May 5 Yosemite update. Now it will not make an ethernet connection. Under network I get, "Cable unplugged." Which of course is not true. Am able to connect via wi-fi only. I reinstalled Yosemite 10.10.3 hoping that it would not have the May 5th update, but it did and no luck. Anyone else? Any solutions? Thanks!

iMac (27-inch Mid 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.2), 16 gigs ram, SSD HD

Posted on May 6, 2015 5:58 PM

5 replies

May 6, 2015 8:11 PM in response to jbsquared

Do a complete reset. Turn off your Modem and your Router or if it is combined Pull the Plug and kill the Power and while everything is unplugged be sure all your cables on both ends or in tight.

Next go into your Network Settings and choose Ethernet and drag it to the top of the list and it has the green Dot.

Now turn off your computer. You need to have been down for a total of a couple a minutes. Now you plug in your ISP's Modem wait 5 minutes Plug in your Router and again you must wait close to 5 minutes, Now you can restart your computer and let it boot clear up don't get in a hurry let it boot up. Now you should be good to go.

DON

May 6, 2015 8:22 PM in response to Donald Morgan

Hi Don! I should have given a more complete description. I had already tried all the modem/router/SMC resets along with a direct cable connection bypassing the router to no avail. I have seen multiple people on the web with the same issue of no ethernet connectivity since upgrade to Yosemite, or as in my case, with the May 5th upgrade to Yosemite. From my cursory review, it seems as if Yosemite has had a year long wi-fi connectivity issue (which I never experienced because I have always had a hard cable connection). But with their upgrade to solve that issue, they screwed up the cable connection. We'll probably have to wait a year before they admit to and solve this problem. In the mean time, I can limp along on my router wifi.

Thanks

Jim

May 8, 2015 3:33 PM in response to jbsquared

don, I clicked the wrong button. This did NOT solve my problem. I just wanted to retry what you said exactly to see if I had been sloppy. And so I did again and it did not work. What I thought u might want to know is that your statement "Next go into your Network Settings and choose Ethernet and drag it to the top of the list and it has the green Dot;" not surprisingly there was no green dot. Only a red dot and the same old statement ethernet not connected. I still see it as a Yosemite upgrade failure.

thanks,

Jim

ethernet will not connect with yosemite update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.