Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to totally wipe Mac (including operating system)

I would like to totally wipe an iMac computer, currently running Yosemite, to factory settings, to the point where when the computer is turned on, it can't find a startup disk and flashes the folder with the question mark. I've booted in recovery mode and erased the HD partition I was using, and did the Ctrl-R to get to disk utility. What else should I be doing?

Posted on May 6, 2015 5:12 PM

10 replies

Apr 21, 2017 12:45 PM in response to iTall

Yes, that's a nice article, but again: the computer needs to be compatible with internet recovery. And we are still dealing with some that are not. Additionally, even though it may boot into recovery, it would be unable to download the original OS version - why? Because any OS prior to Lion was never available online, so it can't be downloaded. And that is important because, according to the software licensing agreement, you must wipe anything downloaded from the app store because the license is tied to your Apple ID and NOT transferable. After that, you are supposed to install the original OS which, in such a case, is only available on the originally supplied disks.

So, unless the OP has given specific info regarding the Mac, one needs to consider all possibilities.

Here is a link to the licensing agreement:

http://images.apple.com/legal/sla/docs/macOS1012.pdf

(the transfer rules begin on page 5)

May 7, 2015 8:26 AM in response to goldielox123

You can completely erase the internal drive including the recovery partition.

You will need to first make a Recovery USB stick, boot from it and open Disk Utility

and erase the drive.

What you should do is recreate a single partition on the drive, formatted GUID,

and in the options, select write zeros to the drive. Formatting simply removes and recreates the

new directories but the data is still intact on the disk and could be recoverable.

May 7, 2015 8:42 AM in response to woodmeister50

There is no need for the install media, you just need an internet connection during the restore process.

Reboot holding Command + R to enter the restore partition. The key with "Completly" restoring is to first format the drive, and then do a restore, otherwise it just basically does a reinstall of the OS and retains your files and settings.

Follow this, and be careful not to delete the recovery partition!

OS X Yosemite: Erase and reinstall OS X

Ps: it can take awhile because it downloads the entire OS, what we used to keep as the recovery disk as said above.

May 7, 2015 4:51 PM in response to SeaPapp

Wow, and thanks Mike. That's some really poor documentation on Apple's part, but we hate all experienced their Apple Care support (aka LOL support). Thanks! I just hope this poor dude didn't format an 8 y/o drive like I suggested... Thought at this year even Apple users would think 8 y/o computer = dont trust online documentation... But I know I'm wrong.........

How to totally wipe Mac (including operating system)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.