Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Best Parental Monitoring Method

I have a pre-teen that I just purchased an iPhone 6 for. I am trying to find the best method to provide parental monitoring on the device. Main features I want to see are Text/SMS and the ability to restrict usages, such as block texts/calls/data for certain times.

I prefer not to jailbrake the phone. Stealth is not essential. However, I do not want her to be able to remove it and retain the ability to install apps from the store.

I would much prefer an outright buy and not a monthly subscription to service, but if a subscription is required I would like it to be affordable. Does anyone know of anything that would allow me to do this?

iPhone 6

Posted on May 6, 2015 11:11 PM

3 replies

May 6, 2015 11:31 PM in response to ZambonieDrivor

About Restrictions (parental controls) on iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

You can turn on Restrictions, also known as parental controls, on your iOS device to prevent access to specific apps and features. Learn about the types of Restrictions and how to turn them on and off on your device.

Turn on Restrictions

1. Tap Settings > General.
    User uploaded file
  2. Tap Restrictions.
    User uploaded file
  3. Tap Enable Restrictions and enter a passcode. You'll need this passcode to change your settings or turn off Restrictions.
    User uploaded file
    If you lose or forget your Restrictions passcode, you'll need to restore your device to remove it.

See what you can restrict

When an option is on, or you see a checkmark next to an item, that means you're allowing access to that item. Turn options off to restrict access.

Apps and features1

• Safari
  • Camera (also disables FaceTime)
  • FaceTime
  • iTunes Store
  • iBooks Store2
  • In-App Purchases
  • Siri
  • AirDrop
  • CarPlay3
  • Installing apps
  • Deleting apps

Types of content

• Ratings (select the country in the ratings section to automatically apply the appropriate content ratings for that region)
  • Music and podcasts
  • Movies
  • TV shows
  • Books2
  • Apps
  • Siri
  • Websites

Changes to privacy settings

• Location Services
  • Contacts
  • Calendars
  • Reminders
  • Photos
  • Bluetooth sharing
  • Microphone
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • Advertising

Changes to settings and accounts

• Accounts4
  • Find My Friends5
  • Cellular data use6
  • Background app refresh
  • Volume limit

Features within Game Center

• Multiplayer games
  • Adding friends

You can also turn on or enforce Restrictions using a profile (typically installed when using the device for business or education purposes). Check for installed profiles in Settings > General > Profiles. Contact your administrator or the person who installed the profile for more information.

Best Parental Monitoring Method

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.