Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help with reviving a 17 inch MacBook Pro (early 2011)

Hi,

First question on here so please excuse my newbness.

So basically I was given a 17 inch MacBook Pro (early 2011) because it won't boot to the OS.

When you press power it sounds the chime, launches the grey screen with the apple logo and just sits there indefinitely.

I have tried:

CMD + R - It comes up with the option to restore via the internet only, no Mac HD. When selecting the internet option, it connect to WiFi, brings up the globe and progress bar, restarts and then just sits on the grey screen again.

CMD + D - Does nothing.

CMD + S - Does nothing

Holding down Option - Brings up the internet option as discussed above.

CMD + V - Brings up a black screen with writing and it stops at about half a page.

After all of these combinations, it just goes back to the grey screen with the apple logo and occasionally the grey screen with a flashing file and question mark.

My question is: If i was to try to boot from a CD, do I buy the original snow leopard (10.6) or use the 10.6.6 update CD?

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on May 6, 2015 7:16 PM

7 replies

May 7, 2015 4:05 AM in response to chrisfromcoorparoo

I am guessing that the HDD may be faulty. Do you have the original Snow leopard Installation disks?

If so, start the install process and when you see the menu bar, click on UTILITIES.

From the drop down menu, select Disk utility.

Run Disk Utility>First Aid, Verify and Repair.

If the disk cannot be repaired, it will have to be replaced.

If you do not have the original installation disks, duplicates can be ordered from Apple Customer service. You will have to provide the serial number (on the bottom of the MBP) and there is a fee. Without them, you are dead in the water.

Ciao.

Help with reviving a 17 inch MacBook Pro (early 2011)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.