Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where can I get cheap spare parts for iMac mid 2011 MC309ZA/A

Been waited for buying a mac since 1995 and finally I can afford one in 2013 (had only use it for 2 years). But 2 weeks ago suddenly the lightning came in through the modem and ethernet port (got a little shock too). I went to the authorised service and got quotation for the logic board, processor and power supply* but they cost me more than the price of a new iMac. Where can I get the spare parts cheap online (I'm in Jakarta) so I can make it works again..or else it's going to be my last touch with an apple, not to mention the pictures and videos of my baby. Thank you for your help.

PS. I'm looking for a UV661-5935 Board, Logic, 2.5 GHz, Quad-Core i5 and a 661-5299 Power Supply, 205W, Energy Star

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on May 6, 2015 10:04 PM

5 replies

May 7, 2015 12:33 AM in response to fcmario

So, let me understand you correctly.

You failed to have any type of quality surge/lightning protection ( like a good quality uninterruptible power supply with surge and lightning protection) on any of your computer equipment, no backup drives with copies of your data on the backup (to guard against any type of computer failure) and your blaming Apple for frying your computer and you're never going to own an Apple computer, again???!!!

The fault lies with you and not Apple. There are precautions that you could have/should have taken to guard your expensive computer and peripheral equipment from being fried from lightning or a power surge.

As far as being able to get parts for your iMac, this is not possible as Apple doesn't sell parts to its customers. Apple only sells parts to its authorised dealers or repair centers. I do not believe you will be able to acquire/purchase any of these parts from a Apple authorised repair center, either.

If it is possible, you'll pay full retail price for these parts.

Are you even capable of working with computer electronics? This is not a simple swap out/swap in procedure to do what you are trying to accomplish.

Your only chance maybe would be to try eBay and look around to see what may be available for your iMac.

Other than this, you are basically screwed as even if you had the extra 2 year extended AppleCare warranty, I do not think the warranty covers damage from electrical surges or lightning.

This is why you needed to purchase additional electrical protection devices to protect your expensive Mac purchase.

Without this type of electrical protection, NO computer, EVEN A WINDOWS PC, would not survive a serious electrical surge/spike or lightning strike.

And, if your videos and pictures were that important to you, you should have made backups either to optical CD/DVD discs, USB Flash Drives or externally connected hard drives that you, also, needed to purchase.

This is a very expensive lesson that you have learned.

All of this stated, I am sorry that your Mac got fried from an electrical spike and you lost all of your data.

😟

May 7, 2015 12:41 AM in response to fcmario

If your Mac's internal hard drive didn't get fried, the data on that drive maybe recoverable.

You would need to take the hard drive out of the computer and try and locate a local computer service center that has the ability to take that drive and check its data and either save the data to optical media or onto a new Mac formatted hard drive if the data is recoverable.

This process will not be cheap, either, but there is a chance your data survived.

May 7, 2015 1:00 AM in response to MichelPM

Hi Michel. I came here not because I want to blame Apple. I said "my last touch with an apple" not because I hate them, but because it's too expensive, at least for me, to get one new again within the next 1-2 years. I've never opened an iMac but in the past I used to build my own computer (pc; it was easier to get new spare parts and they were cheaper, a lot more cheaper yet they came with more power) and today we can find the way to look into an apple online even though still it's not easy. The damage came in through the network/eth port that it never pass the surge protection of the computer (I checked the fuse, it still works), but apparently I forgot to secure the modem (and the newer data that haven't been copied into my external hard disk). Sure I know an iMac is not cheap, but getting a price for 2-3 parts that surpasses the whole new computer is just...hmm...I can't find a proper way to express it. Maybe it's because I live too far from apple. 😉

I know that apple doesn't sell spare parts - that's the reason why I wrote to this forum, to all the users of the mac. So if you know a good place to go, please let me know. Thank you.

May 7, 2015 1:22 AM in response to MichelPM

Dear Michell,

As with the hard drive, the authorised service said it was fine. I'm thinking the same way too to use my toshiba (just got it repaired too at the same time with the mac; well you know, baby thought that pouring some milk onto the notebook would be a good idea) and get the proper connector to rescue the data - if I can't get the mac to work soon. If I couldn't get a good price for repairing, maybe I'll better save some money to buy a second hand iMac. I really love the aluminium iMac (I refused to buy the newer thinner iMac even though they only differs around 80$ in here and the newer one come with double memory and hard drive in size - not to mention the processor speed and graphic chip ). 🙂

May 7, 2015 5:24 AM in response to fcmario

eBay is pretty much your only option for finding parts for your iMac.

Doing work inside an iMac is an exercise in tediousness as the iMac has plenty of fiddly parts and cables that can be easily damaged.

Working inside an iMac is nothing like building a Windows PC tower.

I have a lot of experience with working with many Mac tower/desktop computers, but these new iMac models are much more difficult to work on and I have stayed away from ever opening mine to do anything.

The only iMacs I ever torn down to work on and wasn't too scared to work on were the old iMac G4 desk lamp arm/ white snowball base iMacs.

Those were fairly easy to work on compared to what they look like inside, now.

Good Luck!

Where can I get cheap spare parts for iMac mid 2011 MC309ZA/A

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.