Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I sync photos from an external hard drive to my iPad? I am using iTunes but the folders in the hard drive do not appear as options to sync.

How do I sync photos from an external hard drive attached to my Windows PC using iTunes to my iPad2? The folders on the hard drive do not show up as options to sync from on iTunes. I cannot put the photos on my computer because I have no space. I think there is a way to change the source on iTunes, but I can't find it.

iPad, iOS 8.1

Posted on May 6, 2015 9:21 PM

11 replies

Aug 16, 2015 3:17 PM in response to Alfred DeRose

Alfred

yyou replied to the question, but missed the real issue I believe. I am having the same issue - I moved my iPhoto Library to an external hard disk, because my computer was running out of space. Now when I sync my iPad using iTunes, it does not recognise the iPhoto Library, even though I have the library open in iPhoto. Do you know how to make iTunes recognise the Library on the external hard disk? They are visible, but greyed out.

Thanks to you, or anyone else who has a solution.

Aug 17, 2015 7:04 AM in response to BarnardG

Hard to say if you have the same issue, because the OP hasn't responded in three months.

Have you tried rebuilding your iPhoto Library to see if that helps? It may be a permissions issue. More information on the procedure is here: iPhoto 6 and later: Rebuilding the iPhoto library - Apple Support. Pay attention to the "Learn more" section since it describes the new Library First Aid dialog in iPhoto 9.3 and later.

May 5, 2016 12:16 PM in response to GoRamsFootball

This should work. You need to switch the libraries. If you use iCloud Photo Library, switching Photos libraries will turn that off.

In Finder on your Airport drive, select your "other" library and right click and choose OPEN WITH. Use Photos. You'll be asked to make the switch.

Then after the switch, go in to Photos preferences and set that new library as the system library. It won't be greyed out now.

How do I sync photos from an external hard drive to my iPad? I am using iTunes but the folders in the hard drive do not appear as options to sync.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.