Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari

What's the latest version of Safari that will work under MacOSX10.7.5? I have 5.1.7 and it won't stay open. It closes immediately after opening it. It started about 18 months ago and I'm tired of Firefox.

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.7.5), Safari

Posted on May 6, 2015 11:05 PM

5 replies

May 6, 2015 11:15 PM in response to bdphourde

You may try resetting Safari before re-installing your system. In some cases, this helps.

You may also try these steps:

Shut down your Mac

- Wait until your computer turns off and after that press the Power button

- Right after you hear the startup tone, press and hold the Shift key

- Release the Shift key when you see a grey Apple sign and the progress bar below this sign

- Once you see Desktop, start a Disc Utility scan to detect and repair file system errors (don't forget to choose your main hard drive)

- Click on Verify Disc and then, if asked to fix problems, on Repair Disk

- After this, click on Verify Disc Permissions and then on Repair Disc Permissions

- After the process is finished, shut down your Mac and turn it back on after about 30 seconds

After that, click on Go menu with Option (Alt) key pressed - Library - locate Safari folder and move it to your desktop.

May 7, 2015 12:01 AM in response to Kappy

Thank you both for the almost immediate responses! I left this site for a few minutes after posting to try another internet search (worded differently) and found that Wikipedia has a nice breakdown of the Safari versions and the OS that takes them. OSX10.7.5 can take up to Safari 6.1.6! That leads me to ask now, why the Software Update query didn't update my Safari if it can take a much later version! I tried that several times over the past year to check, and I only get updates for iTunes which I don't want. I do carry with me a flash memory card with Lion on it but when I did this over a year ago, I remember about an hour's worth of download time just to get from 10.7 to 10.7.5! My older MacBook is maxed out at 7.5, so I can't upgrade to the newest system even if I trusted it.

The key here is that 5.1.7 is supposed to work with 7.5 and should trigger an update at Apple. I will consider the "reset" of Safari and all that goes with it tomorrow before reloading Lion. Thanks.

Safari

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.