Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari rerouting tumblr to safe.txmblr.com and certificate issues

Why does my Safari reroute the tumblr URL to safe.txmblr.com and say that the certificate could be fake? It may be related to Avast, or possibly some sort of keychain error.

I recently installed extensions from the Safari trusted page, but started getting annoying prompts, deleted the extensions, and deleted the safari extensions file from the Keychain Access program. I'm afraid this may somehow be the cause of my current woes.

I've tried just trusting the certificate but it still does it every time I use the URL. Chrome doesn't have the issue, but Firefox couldn't even trust the certificate for Google for some reason. Safari is my preferred browser, hence the effort.

Thx in advance for your help, this is my 1st post, I'm a newbie.

My specs:

OS X Yosemite 10.10.3

MacBook Pro (15", late 11)

Processor: 2.4 GHz Intel Core i7

Memory: 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

Startup Disk: Macintosh HD

Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 3000 384 MB

MacBook Pro (15-inch Late 2011), iOS 8.3, null

Posted on May 7, 2015 1:15 AM

8 replies

May 7, 2015 2:04 AM in response to D.Cohen

I've combed the discussion page and read the article, trying those suggestions as well, yet the problem persists.

• it's not the date and time settings
  • i tried the keychain 1st aid repair to no avail (I'm not totally comfortable making changes of any sort in keychain).
  • deleting cookies doesn't help.

Could this be some sort of malware or adware (like a site specific bug if that even exists)?

And would baking up Time Machine to my external HD and restoring the OS be worth it? This would be more of a last resort.

-kjon

May 7, 2015 4:07 AM in response to thomas_r.

bingo.

You were absolutely correct. I deleted Avast, updated Safari, restarted the comp, and that's that. I've also installed AdwareMedic.

My last question: Is AdwareMedic fully comprehensive (filtering email and such) as Avast was (minus the lame certificates)? Is there any other free security software that you could perhaps recommend to me? Or is this unnecessary and AdwareMedic is all I need?

*long-time issue resolved, blood pressure stabilizing*

May 7, 2015 4:15 AM in response to kjon2518

AdwareMedic is just for removing adware. It doesn't do anything in the background, and doesn't attempt to look for real malware. If you don't have adware on your machine, you don't really need AdwareMedic.

As for whether you need to install anti-virus software, see my Mac Malware Guide.

(Fair disclosure: I may receive compensation from links to my sites, TheSafeMac.com and AdwareMedic.com.)

Safari rerouting tumblr to safe.txmblr.com and certificate issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.