Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I find the largest files in Mac's Photo app?

My SSD-storage is about to run out of space. How do I do so the largest files are first and start to delete the largest files in the Photo app on my MacBook Pro? Very grateful for any help I can got!

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on May 6, 2015 11:54 PM

5 replies

May 7, 2015 9:05 AM in response to lovemyiphone5

As Larry said, photos for a particular camera (with particular settings) are similar. If you take a lot of movies, those are generally a lot large than still shots. Longer movies are generally larger than short ones. Higher-definition/resolution movies and photos (as determined by the camera/phone) are generally larger than low-definition/resolution ones.

Have you already determined that your Photos library is the problem? For a quick check, do a Get Info (command-I) on the library in the finder. For a more detailed analysis of your storage space usage, you may want to look at a specialized program like OmniDiskSweeper or GrandPerspective.

May 7, 2015 9:36 AM in response to lovemyiphone5

lovemyiphone5 wrote:

I mean like videos I've been capture, I want to see them as the longest video firts because they are largest, and so on. Do you know how?

You can't do that with the options currently available in Photos. What you can do is click on the "Videos" album in the Sidebar (command + option + S if it isn't visible), which gives you a thumbnail view of all your videos. You should see a small black box in the lower right corner of each thumbnail displaying its running time. That will allow you to scan them visually for the longest ones.

If you would like better options for finding larger files, send Apple feedback about that using https://www.apple.com/feedback/photos.html

How do I find the largest files in Mac's Photo app?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.