Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 6 front camera records without sound

Dear All,

My iPhone 6 is not recording sound when making a video using the front (FaceTime) camera.

I've tried everything:

Back camera records everything fine;

Both microphones (in the back and down below) are not obstructed;

There is no plastic cover anywhere;

FaceTime calls using the front camera work fine;

Just no sound when making a video using the front camera, only a slight noise like an old tv makes when there's no signal.

Could someone please help me.

Thanks in advance!
Danil

iPhone 6, iOS 8.3

Posted on May 7, 2015 12:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 20, 2017 2:01 PM

i have my i phone 6 s when i do my front camera sound is not good . everything is working fine exet the front camera the volume . did factory reset and everything what shall i do please any hel

13 replies

May 7, 2015 12:14 AM in response to danil85

Try to reset your device. This won't delete your data stored on the phone.

• Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button
  • Press and hold on the Home button
  • Keep holding both buttons until the display turns off and back on with Apple logo on it.

Alternatively, you may go to Settings - General - Reset - Reset All Settings

If this does not help, try these steps. Note that this may erase the data from your computer.

You need to restore your device to factory settings.

Take a look this Apple Support article: Use iTunes to restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings - Apple Support.

If this does not help, visit your local Apple store to get help.

May 7, 2015 12:50 AM in response to danil85

The iOS 7 is confuse enough to have duplicate entries for privacy measures: apart from the easy to find Privacy / Microphone settings, another layer restricts access of Apps to the ressources:

go to Settings / General / Restrictions: if you still know the passwort to enter, you find here again a long list of Apps, their allowed content, and what they can use (such as microphone). If these entries are corrected, the microphone can be used and the apps appear in the list of the privacy/mirophone menu!

Although in principal valuable to have detailed control over the privacy settings, it is indeed quite confusing. I even am not sure whether I did myself initial settings, or whether this was done automatically when switching from OS6 to 7

May 7, 2015 1:38 AM in response to guru_jarvis

The microphone tab in the Restrictions menu is active, there are apps that are turned on. So these apps do use microphone and everything works.

It is the actual built in Camera app that is not recording sound when filming with the front camera.

So unfortunately problem was not solved after checking the Restrictions menu.

Sep 17, 2015 1:44 AM in response to danil85

Finally got some light shed on this topic! The iPhone 6 has 3 microphones. One at the bottom for calls, two at the top, one on the front for use with the front camera and Siri, and one on the back for use with the back camera. The guy at the Genius Bar did a diagnostic test on my iPhone and found that for me, BOTH the top microphones were faulty. In my case, audio sometimes also didn't work when using the back camera. The back microphone is apparently fused to the motherboard of the phone, so he had to replace mine for me. He did say, however, that if it was only the front microphone that was faulty, they would have simply fixed it. My replacement was free of charge because my phone is still in warranty, which I suspect yours must be too, so hurry to the Apple Store and get it fixed!

Dec 27, 2015 5:26 PM in response to danil85

My problem is reverse. I can FaceTime and record selfie video with audio. I can talk to Siri. I can hear all videos. Unfortunately, I cannot record audio with my videos. I have soft reset and finally full reset with a restore. I have checked my restrictions etc. I have also cleaned all my mics.

Don't know where to go from here except to call my insurance and have the phone replaced.

iPhone 6 front camera records without sound

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.