Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How long should it take to restore a new iPad from an iCloud backup of an old one?

My original 2010 wi-fi-only 64GB iPad (long since demoted to at-home e-mail/e-reader/web browsing duty) reached the end of its rope. Even though it had 44GB still free, I couldn’t update it beyond iOS 5.1--and many of the apps on there were no longer supported, with the new versions requiring at least iOS 6 or 7. It was also getting extremely unstable and crashing frequently. Way past warranty, and has no trade-in value. I analyzed my needs for an at-home-only iPad (I carry my phones and a new iPad Mini 3 with cellular in my purse) and decided I didn’t need the Air 2’s fingerprint sensor or antiglare screen--but I needed the full-size form factor for my aging eyes. The Air 2 was available in either 16GB (too small, especially considering it runs iOS 8) or 64GB--the latter being way more storage than I’d need. So I backed up the old one to iCloud and bought a new iPad Air, wi-fi-only, 32 GB (just the right amount of storage). Since there was no cell carrier or SIM swap involved, I declined the free in-store personal setup and decided to set it up at home.

About 2-1/2 hrs. ago, I set it up and clicked “restore from” this afternoon’s backup. I downloaded iOS 8.3 (it comes with 8.1), but can’t install it until the restore finishes. The restore seems not to have progressed AT ALL (judging from the grayed-out app icons) over the last hour. How long should roughly 16GB worth of stuff (from a 64GB iPad) take to restore? My phones, and my Minis, restored MUCH faster!

iPad Air, iOS 8.1, wi-fi only, 32GB

Posted on May 6, 2015 11:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 16, 2017 7:15 AM

My new iPad was restoring from iCloud for 3 weeks... and I don't have much stuff.

I put my other apple devices on Airplane mode/OFF and within MINUTES my iPad was done restoring!

I *THINK* it was constantly restoring as the other devices that were sharing the cloud were perhaps loading to it? I don't know, but this seemed to have worked.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 16, 2017 7:15 AM in response to Sandra Andina1

My new iPad was restoring from iCloud for 3 weeks... and I don't have much stuff.

I put my other apple devices on Airplane mode/OFF and within MINUTES my iPad was done restoring!

I *THINK* it was constantly restoring as the other devices that were sharing the cloud were perhaps loading to it? I don't know, but this seemed to have worked.

May 7, 2015 12:26 AM in response to Sandra Andina1

Not sure why it allowed you to do that at all. Unless something has recently changed, you cannot restore a larger capacity device to a smaller one - even if the data is not as large. My guess is that you missed some dialog box telling you that the process could not continue. Try restoring again and pay careful attention to any alert boxes that appear.

May 7, 2015 12:26 AM in response to DorisJohn

Thanks, Doris. I have a number of devices/computers connected to my wi-fi network right now. Think I will log all of them off except the new iPad Air, this MacBook Pro and my son’s (though I might run into some resistance from him there as he’s online constantly). Do I need to “de-register” the old original iPad, now that I’ve backed it up (its backup is what’s being restored to the new one)?

May 7, 2015 12:35 AM in response to Sandra Andina1

I also did not see any alert boxes. The only messages I see are on the lock screen, which says “Restoring from iCloud backup” beneath “slide to unlock;” and in “Software Update;” though iOS 8.3 has been downloaded, “Install Now” is grayed out, and beneath it is the message “you can install this update when your iPad is finished restoring from the iCloud backup."

How long should it take to restore a new iPad from an iCloud backup of an old one?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.