Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mcafee Virex not updating

I have just recently installed Virex (it came free with the Sky Broadband package). Unfortunately, when it installed, it immediately went for the latest updates and, after a short time, it responded by saying that the update had not been successful. However, if I launch Virex at any time, and manually select software updates, it comes back saying that I am up to date - thus conflicting with the earlier message. A trip on the Mcafee website was utterly useless and they want £1.00/min to talk to me on their 'Help' line - which is a definate no no. I am beginning to regret the whole business and wonder if it was worth it on a Mac with its firewall operative.

Any ideas???

iMac G4, Mac OS X (10.4.7)

Posted on Oct 23, 2006 9:26 AM

5 replies

Oct 23, 2006 11:01 AM in response to John Beacock

As there have been no viruses written for the Mac OS X platform in the last five years or more, and even the major virus vendors don't see a security threat to Macs now, you are probably better off not using any virus protection for the time being. Most of the major virus protection products actually cause more problems than they solve right now. If we ever get to the point that viruses are a threat, you should have plenty of time to get an up-to-date, compatible virus protection program.
Just keep your firewall turned on, make sure you know what you are installing on your computer, and you should be fine.

Oct 23, 2006 12:40 PM in response to John Beacock

Hi John

I use Intego VirusBarrier check out the website http://www.intego.com they also do a range of other "barrier" software as well.

Straightforward installation runs in the background and does not need to be disabled when loading software.

Whilst the threat to Macs is miniscule, with the Intel chips it may not be long before someone has a go.

Chris

Oct 23, 2006 12:54 PM in response to John Beacock

John,

I concur with Eric. If and when the threat of Mac viruses becomes sufficiently real, then I will be first (or second!) in line to install an AV app on my iMac. Until then, I choose to remain on the sidelines and not mess with any antivirus software period. It's not worth the hassle to me. I do use the built-in Mac OS firewall, but this is not an antivirus program.

I just refuse to believe that a huge apocalyptic flood of Mac viruses will suddenly hit without warning. There just aren't any out there right now for all intents and purposes.

You will hear many and various points of view on this subject from users here. You will have to weigh the "facts" and make your own decision.

Regards,
Steve M.

P.S. It would be a cold day somewhere before I'd pay McAffee a pound a minute to talk to them on their "help" line, if you know what I mean!

Oct 25, 2006 7:47 AM in response to Templeton Peck

Thanks. I will probably uninstall it given the comments received. Unfortunately, I can find no applicable McAfee uninstall download and my installtion package did not include anything either.
Am tempted to do a manual uninstall - do you know of any problems that could be experienced if I simply do a search on anything on the system prefixed by "Virex" and trash it?

Mcafee Virex not updating

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.