Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos app not fully syncing

I have, as so many, installed the new Photo's app which replaces iPhoto. I have also purchased a 500GB cloud package so I can sync my entire photo library across all my devices. However, the sync is not working properly. After a couple of days of uploading my entire photo library to the cloud, the process stopped. Now I am left with a main library on my iMac with 45.400 photos, while on my other devices only 37.100 photos have synced.

I am terrified that this could result in losing many of my photos but also very disappointed as some of my albums on my devices only contain half or less of the pictures originally in them. Please help me to make iCloud properly sync my Photo's library.

I don't know what to do.Thank you very much in advance for any help.User uploaded file

User uploaded file

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), iPhoto transition to Photo's app

Posted on May 7, 2015 3:01 AM

5 replies

May 7, 2015 7:29 AM in response to WimpyW

1 - the solution to being sure you do not lose your photos is ago old and critical for all computers - always have good backups - that is why TimeMachine is supplied with every Mac

2 - iCloud upload can be slow - it took me ten days for my small test library of 7000 photos and videos - give it time

LN

May 7, 2015 10:14 AM in response to LarryHN

Hi Larry,

Thank you for taking the time to reply. However, you are making some assumptions and I must say I find your reaction a bit pedantic.

1. Off course I make backups. I have backups of my entire library from very recently until years back. However, do you know how much time it costs to check and correct missing files in a library of over 40.000 photos? A lot of time, therefore a more simple solution to this syncing problem would be welcome.

2. iCloud upload indeed can be slow, that's why I said it took a couple of days to update. I have given it time, a couple of weeks to be precise. However, the almost 10.000 missing photos are not going to sync, period. New additions to the library sync correctly, but years in the middle are missing photos randomly.

In the mean time, I can give an update if there are other people that might have a solution to this case. I have been on the phone with Apple for two hours. It turns out that part of the problem lies in the photo's library being corrupt. Photo's can also not be exported manually from the library, even though they are showing in the imac application, that is why they will not upload to iCloud. The "repair library" function in the photo's application does not fix this. If anyone is experiencing the same problems or sees a solution, please add to the discussion.

May 10, 2015 2:51 AM in response to WimpyW

HI, i totally feel your problem.

I my self have 269.000 photos trying to sync over 5 macs over a 500gb account...and it does take a big while.

It's a total of 240 gb. i've tried many approaches to sync correctly..and its very slow considering I have fiber optics. Even the access via iCloud to photos is not working. Already have send many reports.

Don't even try to fix de database...it always crashes at 5%... And then it takes a while to work...after several start attempts.

My last try has been to re- install de database by deleting it, start photos, create an empty database, then re-open the big one...it took half a day to prepare and so far 3 days and still working to add/ upload..only done 60%. It's so slow......but it does sync.

Have checked data transfer and its really low? Why? Dropbox is 10 times faster syncing...

Have been surfing the net for a week for solutions...but no luck.

Sorry can't help, I guess we will have to be patient...

Best

May 10, 2015 2:14 AM in response to KAKO66

HI, i totally feel your problem.

I my self have 269.000 photos trying to sync over 5 macs over a 500gb account...and it does take a big while.

It's a total of 240 gb. i've tried many approaches to sync correctly..and its very slow considering I have fiber optics. Even the access via iCloud to photos is not working. Already have send many reports.

Don't even try to fix de database...it always crashes at 5%... And then it takes a while to work...after several start attempts.

My last try has been to re- install de database by deleting it, start photos, create an empty database, then re-open the big one...it took half a day to prepare and so far 3 days and still working to add/ upload..only done 60%. It's so slow......but it does sync.

Have checked data transfer and its really low? Why? Dropbox is 10 times faster syncing...

Have been surfing the net for a week for solutions...but no luck.

Sorry can't help, I guess we will have to be patient...

Best

Ahhh, forgot to say...I did try to sync my Ipad Air 2 / 128 gb ....but did not work either...so I gave un on that one too.

Told photos to sync only if space ( even though I have loads), just to see if it would upload full res images to the cloud...but no luck either.

An even more strange...I have a 253 GB Photos library, a 500 GB Cloud account, but could only shows im using less the 50 GB....

Photos app not fully syncing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.