Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can the new MacBook with HDMI adapter drive a second monitor with a second desktop, and not just mirror it's screen?

As in the title, can the new MacBook with the HDMI adapter drive a second monitor with another desktop, or is it limited to mirroring its own display?

Posted on May 7, 2015 8:34 AM

6 replies

May 7, 2015 9:31 AM in response to John0001

Thanks!

I guess the proper term would have been "extended desktop".

It's what I'm used to with my late-2008 MacBook Pro driving a 24" Viewsonic monitor via a VGA adapter. I can have different windows and apps open on each and drag back and forth, which is handy.

I would not be asking, but when I look at the description of the adapter it only mentions mirroring.

May 8, 2015 6:37 PM in response to Fast Eddie B

So I just got my USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter today, hooked it up to an external monitor, and yes, you can use an external monitor in extended mode to increase your landscape

User uploaded file

Fun fact! i couldn't upload my original screenshot because it was above the 2MB limitation for attachments here. It was because i use one of the "Desktop Pictures" as my background in Yosemite and bumped it up to 5MB+. It took me a moment, but when you change the background using System Preferences > Desktop & Screen Saver it only changed the MacBook display, and the external display had the old, high memory usage, wallpaper. You need to open System Preferences > Desktop & Screen Saver and drag it over to the external monitor to change it there. Kind of cool Mac offers the option to have two different wallpapers when using multi monitors, unlike winders.

Can the new MacBook with HDMI adapter drive a second monitor with a second desktop, and not just mirror it's screen?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.